Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Now this is nothing new, but with the 6.1.3 they are trying to stop it for good.

Here is the article http://m.gizmodo.com/5986792/ios-613-is-coming-to-kill-your-jailbreak

So this make me really upset. When there is something good Apple always screws it up. Apple has been trying to destroy android for the past 2 years with lawsuit after lawsuit, and it really just makes them look like a bunch for idiots. After they were done with lawsuits they are trying to patent anything they can. To me it makes Apple look like they are afraid of android, and not sure they can keep up. What has android really taken from Apple. If they want to play that game then look at what they took from android.

The one thing that makes me so mad is Apple trying to stop JB. There are more than 7 million people that want more from their lock down iPhones. Why does Apple care? We are still buying their products. If they are able to stop jailbreaking then I am headed back to android. There is not reason to have outdated iphone that is lock down. I want more from my iphone than what Apple thinks is enough.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
The whole concept of how a phone OS should be. Before iPhone there was nothing like it. Now everything is 'like an iphone'.

Oh is that right? Seeing is how Apple stole half the ideas it had for a smartphone from blackberry and palm. They just made it easier for people to use.

----------

Apple has been fixing Jailbreak exploits for years. This isn't anything new.

Yea, but they are now trying to destroy it for good. Read the article. The people at Evasi0n thank Apple is about to make it really hard to create jailbreak.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
Oh is that right? Seeing is how Apple stole half the ideas it had for a smartphone from blackberry and palm. They just made it easier for people to use.

----------

Yea, but they are now trying to destroy it for good. Read the article. The people at Evasi0n thank Apple is about to make it really hard to create jailbreak.

While i definitely prefer my jailbroken iPhone than when it was non-jailbroken, i would say we have to look at it objectively instead of being biased.

Being able to jailbreak means you found an exploit in iOS. From the looks of it, the devs have found multiple such exploits so far. No matter what anyone says, to a decent software maker, such exploits are unacceptable because they show a deficiency in their security, and software companies want to make their OS secure.

The thing is, while some of us want and like the freedom, sometimes you do have to find that a company like Apple would want proper feedback through customer feedback and market feedback through sales to change anything. If being locked down still sells millions on iPhones in a couple of days, i doubt Tim Cook wants to tell his developers to make iOS wide open all of a sudden.

Just a realistic point of view here.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin

I don't see anything wrong Jailbreaking, but how can you blame Apple from wanting to block people exploiting something that they own?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
This is nothing new. The people that wrote the article don't know much about this at all. They're just guessing about what Apple's doing.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
While i definitely prefer my jailbroken iPhone than when it was non-jailbroken, i would say we have to look at it objectively instead of being biased.

Being able to jailbreak means you found an exploit in iOS. From the looks of it, the devs have found multiple such exploits so far. No matter what anyone says, to a decent software maker, such exploits are unacceptable because they show a deficiency in their security, and software companies want to make their OS secure.

The thing is, while some of us want and like the freedom, sometimes you do have to find that a company like Apple would want proper feedback through customer feedback and market feedback through sales to change anything. If being locked down still sells millions on iPhones in a couple of days, i doubt Tim Cook wants to tell his developers to make iOS wide open all of a sudden.

Just a realistic point of view here.

I understand that iOS has some holes and Apple needs to fix it, but why not just let iOS be open? I know that goes against everything Apple has made the iphone, but if 7 million people jailbreak the iphone I think that means it is pretty popular. I know there are people that would leave the iphone if it came to the point when jailbreaking would never happen again.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Threads like this are pointless....

We get it. You love Android and find it superior.

If JB'ing goes the way of the dinosaurs, all the JB'ers can go buy Android devices if customization means that much to them.

Personally, I'm fine with Apple closing exploits because I don't my phone being exploitable (by anyone).

At the same time, I'm indifferent to JB'ing....great for those who want it. If it goes away, I'm not all the upset.

Again - if you want to mess with the OS, you should go buy an Android anyways. Android phones are OS-centric, while iOS devices are app-centric.

Find what works best for you and be happy.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I don't see anything wrong Jailbreaking, but how can you blame Apple from wanting to block people exploiting something that they own?

I can blame them, but I can blame them for not opening up iOS to developers so we can have tweaks like jailbreaking offers.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Epic thread fail of the day ;)

7179030381_116fb07506_z.jpg

You do realise if you don't want to break your jailbreak, you don't have to upgrade to 6.1.3

Also try reading our own site for news rather that posting other sources first...

https://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/25/ios-6-1-3-beta-2-fixes-exploits-used-for-evasi0n-jailbreak/

Then maybe take the vitriol over to that thread where it's already being discussed!

Last edited:

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I understand that iOS has some holes and Apple needs to fix it, but why not just let iOS be open? I know that goes against everything Apple has made the iphone, but if 7 million people jailbreak the iphone I think that means it is pretty popular. I know there are people that would leave the iphone if it came to the point when jailbreaking would never happen again.

7 million / 300 million = 2.3% of the iOS population.....let em leave.

I don't want iOS to be open....otherwise, I'd rock Android solely. Neither should become more like the other.

----------

Epic thread fail of the day ;)

LOL.

Classic....

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Threads like this are pointless....

We get it. You love Android and find it superior.

If JB'ing goes the way of the dinosaurs, all the JB'ers can go buy Android devices if customization means that much to them.

Personally, I'm fine with Apple closing exploits because I don't my phone being exploitable (by anyone).

At the same time, I'm indifferent to JB'ing....great for those who want it. If it goes away, I'm not all the upset.

Again - if you want to mess with the OS, you should go buy an Android anyways. Android phones are OS-centric, while iOS devices are app-centric.

Find what works best for you and be happy.

Your post is pointless because I never claimed I am an android guy. I have the iphone 5 I like the phone I just don't want to have the tweaks that jailbreaking offers taken away. It makes to iphone usable.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Your post is pointless because I never claimed I am an android guy. I have the iphone 5 I like the phone I just don't want to have the tweaks that jailbreaking offers taken away. It makes to iphone usable.

Like I said, and the above poster said.....just switch to Android.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011

Well, if only single digit percentage of your customers jailbreak the iPhone, as CEO of Apple would you like to take the risk of opening up iOS just for their sake, and not caring about the satisfaction of the rest of the majority base?

Apple is a business, a corporation. Something people forget. They are not in the race to appeal to hacking/tweaking etc. They sell devices. They are doing good. Once they start doing bad they will see why and change accordingly. If jailbreak was that reason, Apple would be dead in 2010 or 2011 already.

Also apple seems to slowly cover up jailbreak items or make them obsolete.

I used open notifier in iOS 4.3.3. Apple added notification center in 5.0.

I used NC settings in iOS 5.1.1 for quick access to turn off/turn on stuff and brightness, the iPhone 5 has worked out so well with auto brightness, wifi always on, location always on, data always on, that NC settings is still in my tray, but i have used it ONCE in the last 3 weeks. ONCE. I used to use it atleast 10 times a day on my iPhone 4.

If iOS 7 brings defaults and a bit more improved version of sharing, and improves the switcher activation method, really there will be no need for me to jailbreak again.

Seems to me they do listen and silently add features, but they gloat about the ones they think will sell well to the average guy out there, not to a tweaker.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010

They've been trying to get rid of jailbreaking since it first started and they haven't been coy about it either. They don't want people to jailbreak their device and try to make it as difficult as possible.

That said....software is always going to have holes. So I don't know if they will every be fully successful in getting rid of it.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Well, if only single digit percentage of your customers jailbreak the iPhone, as CEO of Apple would you like to take the risk of opening up iOS just for their sake, and not caring about the satisfaction of the rest of the majority base?

Apple is a business, a corporation. Something people forget. They are not in the race to appeal to hacking/tweaking etc. They sell devices. They are doing good. Once they start doing bad they will see why and change accordingly. If jailbreak was that reason, Apple would be dead in 2010 or 2011 already.

We live in the world where "profit" is a dirty word and businesses exist to make consumers happy by GIVING them stuff and doing what each individual wants....

Despite the fact that without the profit those businesses wouldn't exist in the first place and nevermind that one person (or even 7 million) is a very small drop....

Take. Take. Take. Me. Me. Me.

This is our society.....and we wonder why there's so much garbage in the world.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga

Ok well just wait until the iphone 5s comes out later this year and sales are not what they once were. People are getting tired of iOS and jailbreaking offers a way to make people's iPhones their own. You don't see android hurting because their OS is open do you?

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
If you find my post so pointless than why are you wasting my time posting on this thread?

You started the thread brah - you're wasting your own time.

As for my posts - I am free to waste my time as I please. And I choose poking holes in your silly thread. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.