Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Hj everyone. I have an Apple TV first gen that works perfectly fine. That is, until I connect it to my home network (either through WiFi or Ethernet. Then it would lock up randomly at any point it likes (during start up, around during the intro video, just before or after the video, or most commonly, a really short time after booting up to the menu). You can see the light on the front blink in acknowledgement of the remote, but otherwise it doesn't respond. If the screensaver was on it will also exit out of it. After a while it restarts to recovery mode. If I run diagnostics it tells me I have an issue with my Ethernet (using both Ethernet and WiFi yield the same results). I tried connecting it to a pocket WiFi device and it works flawlessly, but other than for testing, this is obviously not a feasible thing. Has anyone come across this issue before? Thanks!

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
I managed to fix this. After days of looking up online I found out that the issue is common to Sagemcom devices, and by chance I found out that my device is also a Sagemcom (there is no branding on it whatsoever). Went out today and bought a Netgear Nighthawk and my Apple TV has since been flawless. Even better, all my devices now connect nicely and easily, without dropping out and everything loads really fast!

Converseallstar95

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2008
I'm having this problem too. I have had the same router, but noticed recently mu ATV1 freezes after a minute or so when connected to my home WiFi. When I hotspot from my phone, I don't have any problems. I even disabled the iTunes content as some say so it doesn't load, but it still freezes. Any Idea?

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
I'm having this problem too. I have had the same router, but noticed recently mu ATV1 freezes after a minute or so when connected to my home WiFi. When I hotspot from my phone, I don't have any problems. I even disabled the iTunes content as some say so it doesn't load, but it still freezes. Any Idea?

For me what did it was completely replacing the router. As long as the Apple TV was connected to my Sagemcom device it would freeze. I replaced the router and now it's all perfectly fine. Hope this helps!

Converseallstar95

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2008
For me what did it was completely replacing the router. As long as the Apple TV was connected to my Sagemcom device it would freeze. I replaced the router and now it's all perfectly fine. Hope this helps!

Yeah unfortunately, for me its not an option as my modem is from my ISP (I don't use a custom one). However, I did get it to work on the guest SSID (Since its 2.4GHz) and I read that 5GHz is where some people have problems.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Yeah unfortunately, for me its not an option as my modem is from my ISP (I don't use a custom one). However, I did get it to work on the guest SSID (Since its 2.4GHz) and I read that 5GHz is where some people have problems.

That’s great!!! I couldn’t get mine to run connected to my Airport Express (wired or wireless) since it was connected to my main router. That router was also supplied by my ISP. I’ve been able to replacing an ISP issued router with one of my own once or twice before so it should be doable, but it is a bit of work and that effort may not really be worth your time. Does it sync fine on a guest network?:)

Converseallstar95

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2008
That’s great!!! I couldn’t get mine to run connected to my Airport Express (wired or wireless) since it was connected to my main router. That router was also supplied by my ISP. I’ve been able to replacing an ISP issued router with one of my own once or twice before so it should be doable, but it is a bit of work and that effort may not really be worth your time. Does it sync fine on a guest network?:)

Oh yes, it is possible to buy a new router, but it wouldn't make any sense for me to do it just for a 10 year old ATV that I only play with to hack. Yep all seems well on the guest SSID :)

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Oh yes, it is possible to buy a new router, but it wouldn't make any sense for me to do it just for a 10 year old ATV that I only play with to hack. Yep all seems well on the guest SSID :)

Haha that is very true. For me it was more because I had way more devices than my router could support by itself, so I had little choice! I’m glad it worked out for you though!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.