Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markfc

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Prestatyn, Wales, UK
just noticed my Apple TV 3 in the bedroom has been updated and now has the new TV App.
If they can add that then why no Apple Misoc app?

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
just noticed my Apple TV 3 in the bedroom has been updated and now has the new TV App.
If they can add that then why no Apple Misoc app?

Maybe because you never had the Apple Music app (so you haven’t lost anything). Whereas without an update to the new TV app the old might have been needed to be phased out (because of compatibility issues). Then you would have had a brick.

Casey Royals

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
I have exactly the same question ... what could be so difficult about it - can access iTunes purchases but nothing else of Apple Music.

The Apple Remote app on my iPhone can’t see the Apple TV 3 after the update either (but I can stream to it from the music app) you have this issue too?

Reactions: GreginNJ

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
I have exactly the same question ... what could be so difficult about it - can access iTunes purchases but nothing else of Apple Music.

The Apple Remote app on my iPhone can’t see the Apple TV 3 after the update either (but I can stream to it from the music app) you have this issue too?

I guess maybe because unlike ATV HD (4) or ATV 4K, it's not using the latest tvOS operating system and it would create extra work for Apple. In all fairness, it's pretty decent of Apple to actually still update Apple TV 3 as it's pretty vintage now 2012-15. Considering it was only 99£ at launch and then £59 in its final year, it's been a pretty remarkable device. How the heck did Apple make any profit from it at £59? It doesn't make sense to spend R&D money on it!

Certainly Apple TV HD is so cheap that it's just easier to recycle an old ATV3 if it doesn't meet your needs and buy a new Apple TV to enjoy for another 5+ years :)

GreginNJ

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2015
I guess maybe because unlike ATV HD (4) or ATV 4K, it's not using the latest tvOS operating system and it would create extra work for Apple. In all fairness, it's pretty decent of Apple to actually still update Apple TV 3 as it's pretty vintage now 2012-15. Considering it was only 99£ at launch and then £59 in its final year, it's been a pretty remarkable device. How the heck did Apple make any profit from it at £59? It doesn't make sense to spend R&D money on it!

Certainly Apple TV HD is so cheap that it's just easier to recycle an old ATV3 if it doesn't meet your needs and buy a new Apple TV to enjoy for another 5+ years :)

I like the new Apple TVs, but I would not classify them as cheap.

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012

Apple TV HD is now four years old, and no 4K support is pretty much a no go for a device you buy in 2019. Apple TV 4K is very expensive for a set top box, and it's more than two years old now too.

I think Apple should release a new Apple TV with the probably upcoming A13X SoC at a price they see appropriate and sell the current 4K model a lot cheaper, maybe with some cost cutting measures like using a standard A12 instead of the A10X (if the A12 can handle 4K HDR playback and if it actually is cheaper to manufacture than the A10X, of course)

gnomeisland

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
I think Apple is weighing the success of Apple Arcade before it updates the Apple TV hardware. If Apple Arcade really takes off, I could see them waiting until they've got a CPU/GPU that can properly compete with the upcoming 5th gen consoles. The A12X is impressive but it isn't even at parity with the current PS4 & Xbox.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.