Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jondabomb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
I set up a new 3rd gen Apple TV on an 85” Sony Bravia tv. I mounted it to the top right corner of the tv. The Apple TV remote went bonkers scrolling left and down and generally not working. I paired a new unused remote and it did the same thing. I moved the Apple TV to the bottom of the tv and it works fine.

Has anyone seen this happen? Issue didn’t happen with iPhone remote. Just Bluetooth.

jondabomb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Yes, 3rd gen Apple TV 4K from 2023. The Apple TV was mounted on the back of the TV in the upper right.

BATman.Berlin

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2015
California
I have an issue with my remote not connecting unless I get really close to the Apple TV. Yesterday’s update to 16.3.2 seem to fix it. Not sure yet, too short of time to tell.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
I set up a new 3rd gen Apple TV on an 85” Sony Bravia tv. I mounted it to the top right corner of the tv. The Apple TV remote went bonkers scrolling left and down and generally not working. I paired a new unused remote and it did the same thing. I moved the Apple TV to the bottom of the tv and it works fine.

Has anyone seen this happen? Issue didn’t happen with iPhone remote. Just Bluetooth.
Sure sounds like an interference problem to me. There must be something inside your TV in that corner that's causing noise in the 2.4GHz band, which Bluetooth also uses. The remote app works over WiFi, so it can operate on 5GHz instead. Given that it works when you move the AppleTV, I would guess that it's some low power electrical component, not something that's intentionally broadcasting. Probably just a case of "Doctor, it hurts when I do this..."

TroyJam

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2008
Gilbert, AZ

Reboot that remote ASAP

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.