Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockhead00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2021
I am having 2 issues with the ATV 4k 2021. About 10% of the time when I turn the ATV on with the remote the scroll/touch wheel works, but none of the buttons work. The only way to fix it is to unplug the ATV and it starts working again.

The other issue is that the HDMI CEC randomly stops working. I turn on the ATV with the remote (which should turn on the sound bar, which then turns on the TV), but about half the time it doesn't work and I have to turn on the TV manually. Then when I go to settings -> remote and devices -> control home theater. I see that it keeps switching between On|Off automatically and I can't change it. If I reboot the ATV it goes back to normal.

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
Are you running tvOS 15 on the ATV 4K? I am with my ATV 4K 2017 and as soon as it updated I started having sporadic issues with my new model Siri 2021 remote losing the function of the buttons, but like you, the trackpad sometimes works. Cycling the ATV 4K off then back on usually fixes the issue. I also noticed on one occasion that plugging the Siri remote into a charger momentarily fixed the issue, but that time around it was extremely low on charge at only 13%. Most of the issues I'm currently experiencing are with the Philo app, which has always been buggy on every platform I own. I think tvOS 15 might have broken the Philo app as it keeps freezing on certain channels, mostly the MotorTrend channel, and I have to repeatedly press the Display button to exit the app, then manually close down the Philo app.

I'm not having any HTML-CEC issues. However, I set up HTML-CEC differently from you. I use my Sony Bravia TV as the main unit, and it controls the Sony soundbase system, as well as turning on whenever I turn on my ATV 4K, Fire TV cube, or Blu-Ray player. It sounds like you are using the ATV 4K as the primary device for controlling other devices.

rockhead00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2021
Yes, I am using the latest software update on it. I also noticed the issue with 14.7. Maybe I'll try plugging the remote in next time it happens and see if that helps.

Yes, I am using the ATV to control all the other devices. I had the original 4K ATV configured the same way and it never had an issue with HDMI-CEC.

rockhead00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2021
I figured it out. Seems to be some sort of bug with the new remote firmware and my specific sound bar model:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.