Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
Format: 4K SDR or 4K HDR10+ (same results are happening on either format setting)
Match content: both dynamic range and frame rate set to on
Ah…okay! That really is curious then if when ”Format” is set to 4K SDR and Match Content turned “on” for both settings that Dolby Vision content displays as HDR10+

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
Here’s another twist on this topic: The “Match Content“ settings don’t always seem to work as it seems they should. Or, perhaps this is only for some apps. For example: I’ve got two LG OLED’s (C7 and A2). If I set the format to either 4K Dolby Vision or 4K HDR & turn on Match Content for both dynamic range and frame rate, when I watch the ”YouTube TV“ app (ie my TV service), it displays in either 4K Dolby Vision or 4K HDR (depending on which of the two settings I chose). Meaning, it’s not matching the dynamic range of YouTube TV (ie which is not HDR or Dolby Vision).

Now, Netflix does properly match dynamic range. If I set the format to 4K HDR, and watch something on Netflix in Dolby Vision, it properly switches to Dolby Vision. So, it seems that some apps (YouTube TV for example) don’t play nice with the “Match Content” settings. A reason for me (ie since my TV service is YouTube TV) to make sure and set the format to “4K SDR” (ie which matches YouTube TV) and then set Match Content to “on” for Dynamic Range and Frame Rate for app’s like “NetFlix” and ”Prime Video” (ie so that they can ”switch” to Dolby Vision or HDR when needed).

thebigpiro

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Here’s another twist on this topic: The “Match Content“ settings don’t always seem to work as it seems they should. Or, perhaps this is only for some apps. For example: I’ve got two LG OLED’s (C7 and A2). If I set the format to either 4K Dolby Vision or 4K HDR & turn on Match Content for both dynamic range and frame rate, when I watch the ”YouTube TV“ app (ie my TV service), it displays in either 4K Dolby Vision or 4K HDR (depending on which of the two settings I chose). Meaning, it’s not matching the dynamic range of YouTube TV (ie which is not HDR or Dolby Vision).

Now, Netflix does properly match dynamic range. If I set the format to 4K HDR, and watch something on Netflix in Dolby Vision, it properly switches to Dolby Vision. So, it seems that some apps (YouTube TV for example) don’t play nice with the “Match Content” settings. A reason for me (ie since my TV service is YouTube TV) to make sure and set the format to “4K SDR” (ie which matches YouTube TV) and then set Match Content to “on” for Dynamic Range and Frame Rate for app’s like “NetFlix” and ”Prime Video” (ie so that they can ”switch” to Dolby Vision or HDR when needed).
I think this is a known issue with YouTube and one reason I keep my ATV set to 4K SDR. Also because the HDR on the menus is blinding in a dark room

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
I think this is a known issue with YouTube and one reason I keep my ATV set to 4K SDR. Also because the HDR on the menus is blinding in a dark room
Thanks! Good to know that both YouTube and YouTube TV don’t play well with the ATV’s ”Match Content” settings.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Thanks! Good to know that both YouTube and YouTube TV don’t play well with the ATV’s ”Match Content” settings.
Regular Youtube supports matching content range but not frame rate. Youtube TV doesn't support either.

Reactions: DSTOFEL

onafriday

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2020
Some TVs don’t play well with it either. If I try to match range and frame rate on my Samsung Q9, the frame rate matches but oftentimes the range will not. Range is more important to me so I keep only that on.

bd43274

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2022
To add my 2 cents to the discussion...

I was hoping that we'd see some dynamic tone mapping from DV -> HDR10+, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. What I've learned from my testing so far:

1. Apple Movies seems to have a large amount which are HDR10+ encoded and don't actually have any labeling to suggest this yet. I tested last night and was unable to find an HDR movie which did *not* have an HDR10+ encode (all of the dozen or so I tested registered as HDR10+ in my projector settings). To me this is outstanding news, as it shows us that Apple has not only been planning this move for some time, but also updated their movie infrastructure to support it.

2. Some content providers on ATV of course don't have HDR10+ encoded content...yet. For now, HBO, Disney+, Netflix, etc. only support DV and HDR10, but now that we have hardware which is capable of decoding HDR10+ (and of course because HDR10+ is free to use, unlike DV) we will see them begin to support it.

3. Dynamic tone mapping from DV (low latency Dolby Vision, or lldv) to HDR10+ does *not* occur on the ATV. If the TV/Projector doesn't support it, Dolby Vision is ignored and instead we see static HDR when using the "Match Range" on the ATV. It still looks very good, but it's not the "best" picture quality available, and can vary in effectiveness from scene to scene. In order to dynamically map lldv to HDR10+, you need something like the Vertex2 from HDFury. In my experience it does work, but it's an expensive solution ($450-ish), especially when you consider that it may not continue to have much use if the other content providers jump on board the HDR10+ train.

Reactions: musicman0725

onafriday

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2020
To add my 2 cents to the discussion...

I was hoping that we'd see some dynamic tone mapping from DV -> HDR10+, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. What I've learned from my testing so far:

1. Apple Movies seems to have a large amount which are HDR10+ encoded and don't actually have any labeling to suggest this yet. I tested last night and was unable to find an HDR movie which did *not* have an HDR10+ encode (all of the dozen or so I tested registered as HDR10+ in my projector settings). To me this is outstanding news, as it shows us that Apple has not only been planning this move for some time, but also updated their movie infrastructure to support it.

2. Some content providers on ATV of course don't have HDR10+ encoded content...yet. For now, HBO, Disney+, Netflix, etc. only support DV and HDR10, but now that we have hardware which is capable of decoding HDR10+ (and of course because HDR10+ is free to use, unlike DV) we will see them begin to support it.

3. Dynamic tone mapping from DV (low latency Dolby Vision, or lldv) to HDR10+ does *not* occur on the ATV. If the TV/Projector doesn't support it, Dolby Vision is ignored and instead we see static HDR when using the "Match Range" on the ATV. It still looks very good, but it's not the "best" picture quality available, and can vary in effectiveness from scene to scene. In order to dynamically map lldv to HDR10+, you need something like the Vertex2 from HDFury. In my experience it does work, but it's an expensive solution ($450-ish), especially when you consider that it may not continue to have much use if the other content providers jump on board the HDR10+ train.
How could you distinguish between Apple using dynamic tone mapping in their apps (and third party apps not doing so) and Apple having a large library of films already in HDR10+?

bd43274

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2022
How could you distinguish between Apple using dynamic tone mapping in their apps (and third party apps not doing so) and Apple having a large library of films already in HDR10+?
In all honesty I'm not sure that you could, other than using 3rd party apps and content providers as an example (Disney+, HBO, etc.) From my testing it would seem that they fall back to static HDR when they only offer DV (which I take to mean that they offer both dynamic DV and static HDR10.) My Plex library does this as well, whether playing with the Plex client, Infuse, Kodi... all of them fall back to HDR10 if there's only DV/HDR10 available in the rip.

I'm hoping we'll find out more in the upcoming releases of these 3rd party apps. To me, it's a no-brainer to include HDR10+ support. Between Samsung (the largest panel manufacturer) and basically every home theater projector out there only supporting HDR10+ (and also it being free) it seems like it'd be an easy way to improve their product on the cheap.

Reactions: enigmatut

uksgreen

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2022
I don’t have an Apple TV player. But on my Samsung s95b if I play avengers infinity war (DV) from Disney+ my picture mode says HDR. If I go into Apple TV+ and play anything eg foundation (which only mentions DV) my picture mode says HDR10+.
Where do you see the HDR picture mode on the S95B? I tried playing infinity war on Disney+ and then an Apple TV show and mine still only shows the filmmaker/ movie mode that I selected.

CaptainMarvel

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2016
Where do you see the HDR picture mode on the S95B? I tried playing infinity war on Disney+ and then an Apple TV show and mine still only shows the filmmaker/ movie mode that I selected.
Press the “123” settings button on the remote and scroll up to the horizontal settings menu. The picture mode icon there has a little “HDR” or “HDR10+” when playing hdr content.

Except filmmaker mode - that icon doesn’t show anything. The other 3 modes do.

Last edited:

enigmatut

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
MA

This appears to answer what much of this thread is sort of dancing around:
Dynamically “converting” DolbyVision to HDR10+ is not trivial and the ATV is (apparently) not capable of that.

BUT – based on various comments here – it would seem Apple content (iTunes Movies and Shows, and ATV+ shows) that is marked “DolbyVision” also includes an HDR10+ encode, and including such is trivial if content providers choose to support it.

I, apparently like other Samsung TV owners, just wish it were explicit within the ATV interface.
I suspect it’s possible given the Disney+ app labels DV content as “HDR” for me but “DolbyVision” for my friends who have a DV-capable TV. So what I’m asking for is an “SDR” or ”HDR” or “DolbyVision” or ”HDR10+” badge to be displayed based on the combination of content and connected device. Seems possible 🤷🏻‍♂️

shakopeemn

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2014
Press the “123” settings button on the remote and scroll up to the horizontal settings menu. The picture mode icon there has a little “HDR” or “HDR10+” when playing hdr content.

Except filmmaker mode - that icon doesn’t show anything. The other 3 modes do.

The Samsung QN90AB TV allows you to press microphone button and ask "Show info".

shakopeemn

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2014
I’d be keen to see if indeed DV is converted to HDR10+, to benefit from the dynamic metadata. This alone would make me buy this Apple TV.

Can someone with one please check? An easy way to check on latest Samsung TVs is if you go into settings panel under ‘picture mode’ it will say what it is using. I can confirm that Apple TV+ content and movies on the built in app now play in HDR10+ because it says that under picture mode. Used to always previously say HDR.

Disney+ don‘t have any HDR10+ content, only DV. So if you play that, does it show up as HDR10+ under the TV? If so, and if apple is doing that conversion, it’s huge as Netflix and Disney+ are both HDR10 or DV only, not HDR10+

@helix21 , I connected the Apple TV 3rd gen to my Samsung QN90A this week and my TV does confirm that it's receiving HDR10+ when playing movies encoded in Dolby Vision DV. Picture looked incredibly better than what I was getting with my first gen ATV4k.

In the past I've always kept the ATV setting to 4k SDR (with Dolby Vision TV), however I'm now considering leaving the ATV on 4k HDR+ as it seems to improve the picture even on the DirectTV Stream App.

With the new ATV, Apple has a winner for owners of the Samsung TV market.

tahoeroscoe

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2009
California
This is fascinating. I was stunned at the amount of HDR10+ content. Amazing if they really are decoding DV and re-encoding as HDR10+ on the output.

K2kev

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2019
How does the new Apple TV compare to the built in apps my TV is the Samsung S95B? Is the picture quality better and are the inbuilt apps also streaming in HDR 10+ where the content is available?

graywolf323

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2011
Virginia
I tested a few movies I own on iTunes tonight with the new 3rd gen ATV4k that all were marked as Dolby Vision and of those only Ad Astra played in HDR10+ on my Samsung S95B

Father Stu & 1776 played in plain HDR

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
For those with slightly older Samsung TVs, like me, the model may not actually support HDR10+. I had to call Samsung and they told me my model doesn’t support it.

• Sad
Reactions: PhoenixDown

onafriday

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2020
2018. It is Samsung UN50NU6900FZXA.
According to Rtings, your TV can do HDR10+:

Frankly, I would trust them over whoever you talked to at Samsung. But unfortunately, Samsung TVs that support HDR10+ but were released before 2019 do not actually display “HDR10+” on their Info screen. If you have the new ATV and it gives you the option to turn on HDR10+, your TV can do it.

Reactions: musicman0725
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.