Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigZ12

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2020
I find that the picture freezes for a second or two quite often, while watching live TV streams with the RiksTV app or Telia Play. (Norwegian pay-TV distributors).
Audio is not affected and haven't seen any issues with streaming services like HBO Max, Disney, etc..

Edit: It did happen on on the 2nd gen as well, but maybe not so often. :(
My 2nd gen. 4K 2021 with exactly the same setup, using the same ethernet and HDMI cable. No problem!

Just live tv streaming apps like RiksTV/Telia Play that is the problem? (edit: see below the Belgian guy with the same problem, so not just Norwegian tv apps affected?!)

Anyone else with similar experiences?

Last edited:

TherikX

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2022
Yes i have the exact same problem with the RiksTV app and with my 4K 3.gen 2022 model ATV. The picture will freeze occasionally while the audio is not affected at all. Tried with both ethernet and wifi,reset network etc etc,even re-installing the app,but nothing helps. Have you found a solution yet or been in contact in RiksTV/Telia? Well im glad that im not alone with this problem..gives me a little hope that it must be their apps that are not yet compatible with the new hardware.
I use Homenet/Google Wifi btw

Last edited:

BigZ12

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2020
In a way, that's good news. I'm not alone.
It looks like we have been just as "desperate", and we've debugged all there is to debug (I even installed 16.2 beta)

No, I haven't been in touch with either Rikstv or Telia.
Was actually considering returning the ATV, and try a new one.
But now I guess that wouldn't help.
And I'm not sure I would be eligible for a return, since I was so desperate to solve this, that I installed the 16.2 beta 3.

Have you contacted Rikstv? I can contact Telia, since I don't have a valid Rikstv subscription.

Please update me on this thread if you do so, and come across a solution for this.

BTW: Strangest things. It's the exact freezes that I have with Rikstv/Telia Play on my Macbook 14 M1 Pro with Safari. (more frequent freezes on the Mac). Google/Opera works without any problems.

TherikX

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2022
Hello again! Yes im norwegian,but i wasnt sure if we could type in a non-english language,but since this is a local problem i guess no one else mind.
Jeg skal sette meg i kø med RiksTV hvert øyeblikk for å snakke med de.
I går begynte også disse symptomene å dukke opp på mine 2 andre ATVs fra 2021 også.. så kan ikke skjønne noe annet enn at feilen ligger hos de etter IOS-oppdateringen.
Jeg har ikke lignende feil ved andre live-tv streams fra tv2play,discovery,twitch osv.

Jeg kommer tilbake med en oppdatering når jeg har fått svar av de (ikke at jeg hare store forhåpninger om noe fornuftig svar)

BigZ12

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2020
Maybe we can write English here, and Norwegian in PM :)
I'm waiting on Telia Play support now.
I haven't noticed any freezing on my ATV 4k 2nd gen 2021.
And like you, no lags/freeze in video on any other app (Discovery+, Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max...)

It's strange that the problem is exactly the same on both Rikstv and Telia Play.
First I thought the problem was just affecting live streams, but I have noticed freezes with RiksTV Archive as well.

Peter_John

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2022
I find that the picture freezes for a second or two quite often, while watching live TV streams with the RiksTV app or Telia Play. (Norwegian pay-TV distributors).
Audio is not affected and haven't seen any issues with streaming services like HBO Max, Disney, etc..

My 2nd gen. 4K 2021 with exactly the same setup, using the same ethernet and HDMI cable. No problem!
So... a problem with the 3rd gen.? Or RiksTV/Telia Play app that is not yet compatible with the new hardware?

I'm planning to get the Apple TV 4K, is it worth it?

SXT1000

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2021

So... a problem with the 3rd gen.? Or RiksTV/Telia Play app that is not yet compatible with the new hardware?

Hey,

I have exactly these same problem, freezing of video live stream for 1 to 3 seconds while audio isn’t affected, as you described here before.
I’m using the live tv app for Belgium (Proximus Pickx) to watch live tv in my country, Belgium. I never had this problem prior with my apple tv 4K (2nd gen). I have gigabit ethernet with gigabit fiber connection internet.
I think it’s software related and hope it gets fixed soon because watching for lomg periods live television gets annoying if the video stream freezes every now and then for a few seconds.

Btw : tvOS = 16.2 (20K362)

Last edited:

BigZ12

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2020
Hey,

I have exactly these same problem, freezing of video live stream for 1 to 3 seconds while audio isn’t affected, as you described here before.
I’m using the live tv app for Belgium (Proximus Pickx) to watch live tv in my country, Belgium. I never had this problem prior with my apple tv 4K (2nd gen). I have gigabit ethernet with gigabit fiber connection internet.
I think it’s software related and hope it gets fixed soon because watching for lomg periods live television gets annoying if the video stream freezes every now and then for a few seconds.

Btw : tvOS = 16.2 (20K362)
Hey :)

Interesting to see that it's not only Norwegian tv apps that have this problem.
Wonder why just the live-tv apps do this.
NO problem with any streaming services like Disney/Netflix etc..

I have noticably more freezes with gen3, but I see them too often on gen2 as well :(

Watched the 2nd run of the Giant Slalom last Monday. 30 skiers. Counted 12 freezes of 1-2 seconds each.
This was on the Vsport1 channel, Rikstv app and gen3 ATV 4K.
Annoying, just annoying...

Wonder if this is a Apple problem?
Could it have something to do with live streaming and copy protection? Since the free NRK channels don't have any freezes, just the pay tv channels.

Do you own a Mac? Try Safari, and you'll see even more frequent freezes :/ (Opera/Chrome/Firefox have no problems)

SXT1000

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2021
Hey :)

Interesting to see that it's not only Norwegian tv apps that have this problem.
Wonder why just the live-tv apps do this.
NO problem with any streaming services like Disney/Netflix etc..

I have noticably more freezes with gen3, but I see them too often on gen2 as well :(

Watched the 2nd run of the Giant Slalom last Monday. 30 skiers. Counted 12 freezes of 1-2 seconds each.
This was on the Vsport1 channel, Rikstv app and gen3 ATV 4K.
Annoying, just annoying...

Wonder if this is a Apple problem?
Could it have something to do with live streaming and copy protection? Since the free NRK channels don't have any freezes, just the pay tv channels.

Do you own a Mac? Try Safari, and you'll see even more frequent freezes :/ (Opera/Chrome/Firefox have no problems)
I think it’s a software bug in the live stream buffering system

BarcodeMaker

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2022
Delhi,India
I have also same problem , when screen is freeze up to 5 seconds. While watching live match picture just freeze. If anyone know about this solution , please update .

BigZ12

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2020
I still have this problem, and maybe even more now than before. Any other experiencing this?
Does only happen with live tv apps, and never with other streaming like Netflix etc..

Niklas74

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2024
Did anyone found a solution to this? I have the same issue. Gen3, Telia Play, live TV freezing

BigZ12

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2020
Did anyone found a solution to this? I have the same issue. Gen3, Telia Play, live TV freezing
Sorry, no. Has to be something wrong with Apple TV, especially gen3, since we have freezes on different live tv apps/supplier.
I guess it's something to do with copyright protection on live feeds? Can't handle it when it's live?
Because NRK with RiksTV doesn't freeze (open channel)

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
When it is freezing what values do you get for an internet speed test?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.