Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gowhitestripes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
Recently I've been getting a black screen & lag when starting videos on my Apple TV 4k 64 gb. It's frustrating. I don't know if it has to do with HDR settings?

Maybe a recent update broke something?

Anyone else having this issue?

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
If you've activated either HDR or framerate adaptation, then this initial blackout is what you will get.
And it is the display, not the aTV, that takes time to adapt to incoming stream.
For most movies the display framerate switch is inevitable, because aTV UI runs at 50/60fps. Majority of movies do not.
Some of them do it faster than others.
That was also the reason why Apple initally called these display mode switches as inelegant from UX point of view.

Ashleyyyy89

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2018
Recently I've been getting a black screen & lag when starting videos on my Apple TV 4k 64 gb. It's frustrating. I don't know if it has to do with HDR settings?

Maybe a recent update broke something?

Anyone else having this issue?
Yup don’t no what to do about it

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2012
I get the black flicker on all my content when i start a movie or a tv series....with the message 1080p 24p....any solution?

Casaron

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2014
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208288

The section at the bottom (learn more) mentions the black screen/flickering. I was perplexed about this to start with. Can’t give you any tech reasons, but maybe the answer is to accept it to achieve the best video experience - I dunno! Depends on what you are watching I guess.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
I get the black flicker on all my content when i start a movie or a tv series....with the message 1080p 24p....any solution?
If switching the aTV back to fixed output (not adaptive) does not solve it, then I would look into a) HDMI cable b) aTV device and c) TV/display in that order (in order of increasing cost of replacement).

Diemenz

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2015
Like said above this is your tv or monitor switching to the format of the source material. This is happening because of the tv or monitor not the Apple TV.

If you want it to stop turn off match frame rate and your Apple TV will no longer play the source material in its unaltered state and instead play it at the tv / monitors refresh rate and the black outs and lag will stop. However the material will always look better in its native frame rate and I mean much better. Some TVs are better then others in the format switch and speed that they do it.

Reactions: DJTaurus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.