Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KBJ55

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2017
The very first post in this thread is about this very thing, so I’m not sure what you mean? In any case, I think this would state the issue plainly and simply, but if others have any opinions...

“Apple TV 4K does not support true 24.000 fps playback.”
Made two changes, added "true" and spaced "fps".

Reactions: WilliamG

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
The very first post in this thread is about this very thing, so I’m not sure what you mean? In any case, I think this would state the issue plainly and simply, but if others have any opinions...

“Apple TV 4K does not support 24.000fps playback.”

I'm really confused. My first post was about 24.000fps?

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Nothing to indicate that they are even aware of it
I bet that the majority of employees and management at Apple read this forum on a daily basis. They'll be aware of it, maybe it's not a priority and it's such a rare occurrence or maybe it's harder to sort out?

Other than that, they've got a pretty spectactular all in one media centre.

KBJ55

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2017
I bet that the majority of employees and management at Apple read this forum on a daily basis. They'll be aware of it, maybe it's not a priority and it's such a rare occurrence or maybe it's harder to sort out?

Other than that, they've got a pretty spectactular all in one media centre.
If you use Netflix and watch their original content you could hardly call the problem "rare" as so much of their original content has that 24.0 fps frame rate.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
If you use Netflix and watch their original content you could hardly call the problem "rare" as so much of their original content has that 24.0 fps frame rate.
I don't watch their original content. Any reason why they don't simply shoot in 23.976? This sounds more of an agreement that these original content providers need to sort out rather than Apple.

andrewstirling

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2015
Good luck telling Martin Scorsese (given that the multi Oscar nominated, The Irishman is affected) how to shoot his films. And what about all the films (e.g. lots of art house European films) which are shot at 24fps? Should they all be shot again at 23.976hz because Apple can’t be bothered to support it?

I just don’t get this ridiculously defensive argument that Apple fans create regarding this issue. 24fps films have been around for years. Blu Ray players and DVD players have supported them for years. Suddenly Apple enter the media market and don’t bother to support it and everybody else has to change. Nonsense. It’s a fault with the Apple TV. The problem is with this device and nothing else.

Last edited:

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

Agreed 100%. I even had noticeable frame skips in Marriage Story on Netflix.

So there you go, folks: if you want to watch the Oscar-nominated Marriage Story, don’t want it on Apple TV 4K because it’s a 24.000fps movie and exhibits frequent dropped frames.

Reactions: foliovision

OddyOh

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2005
Regina, SK, Canada
Don’t forget to let Apple know, does little good venting in the forums:

It’s simple to tell them what the problem is, how to reproduce it, and ask they fix it.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Good luck telling Martin Scorsese (given that the multi Oscar nominated, The Irishman is affected) how to shoot his films. And what about all the films (e.g. lots of art house European films) which are shot at 24fps? Should they all be shot again at 23.976hz because Apple can’t be bothered to support it?

I just don’t get this ridiculously defensive argument that Apple fans create regarding this issue. 24fps films have been around for years. Blu Ray players and DVD players have supported them for years. Suddenly Apple enter the media market and don’t bother to support it and everybody else has to change. Nonsense. It’s a fault with the Apple TV. The problem is with this device and nothing else.

Well there's obviously a reason why Apple don't support it. They make the best software, hardware in the business along with the very editing platform for video - Final Cut Pro which I make a living from using :)
Since they introduced auto frame rate switching two years ago, they obviously had issues with 24 fps over 23.976.
At least they offer everything else - just look at SONY with their UHD BluRay players - you have to select Dolby Vision manually or your wonderful DVDs which play at 25 fps and have an audio that has been speeded up to 4%. Now that is seriously wrong - a million times worse than an odd frame skip. Have you heard music at 4% pitch?

Don't forget your clanky old disc player only manages to do one thing - play old discs. Considering the ATV manages to do everything else pretty well compared to the competition with very minor hiccups, just watch it on your smart TV app if it's causing you grieve or turn off the TV and do something really incredible in life :) :) :)

I'm not defending Apple, i'm merely grateful for the amazing products that they make and their reliability along with their liberal thinking and renewables stance.
The problem is, you guys where posting about this over 1 year ago on this forum. Apple hasn't done anything about it. Maybe they can't. You have to move on.
A few months ago, I posted here that I'd love Dolby TrueHD for iTunes movies - it never happened but looking at my life, since then, I've worked in Vietnam, Bali, Tokyo, Amsterdam, Paris, Lyon, Barcelona, Valencia, Alicante, East London & Cape Town, Vienna and Berlin. I've met some of the most incredible people that have left imprints on my heart & soul - I met people that were grateful for the sunshine and my food leftovers in Vietnam, I met soul searchers in Bali. I realised that Dolby TrueHD, TV and all of that materialistic junk that some Westerners love and get stressed over really isn't effect my life or have any real value in it whenever I travelled and saw the many cultures that I experience year in year out on my travels.
And that's the beauty of it and and that's the enemy of things when you put your trust in materialism and rely on it.
You realise that life is short, far too short to spend time of AVForums taking to dull people about TV. TV is dull - it should carry a govt health warning - it ages people and often causes obesity. The world moves on fast, and todays frame rate skip really won't matter when you actually analyse what makes you happy in life and what has lasting memories upon you.

Last edited:

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I don't watch their original content. Any reason why they don't simply shoot in 23.976?
Most likely because 23.976 isn't really required anywhere anymore except ATSC broadcast TV and DVD (both of which are largely irrelevant for Netflix original content). DCP and almost every modern digital playback device support 24 fps, and the Apple TV should too. It's a mystery to me why it doesn't (perhaps some hardware limitation?).

That said, I won't lose any sleep over it since I don't notice the occasional frame skips unless I'm specifically looking for it.

andrewstirling

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2015
Well there's obviously a reason why Apple don't support it. They make the best software, hardware in the business along with the very editing platform for video - Final Cut Pro which I make a living from using :)
Since they introduced auto frame rate switching two years ago, they obviously had issues with 24 fps over 23.976.
At least they offer everything else - just look at SONY with their UHD BluRay players - you have to select Dolby Vision manually or your wonderful DVDs which play at 25 fps and have an audio that has been speeded up to 4%. Now that is seriously wrong - a million times worse than an odd frame skip. Have you heard music at 4% pitch?

Don't forget your clanky old disc player only manages to do one thing - play old discs. Considering the ATV manages to do everything else pretty well compared to the competition with very minor hiccups, just watch it on your smart TV app if it's causing you grieve or turn off the TV and do something really incredible in life :) :) :)

I'm not defending Apple, i'm merely grateful for the amazing products that they make and their reliability along with their liberal thinking and renewables stance.
The problem is, you guys where posting about this over 1 year ago on this forum. Apple hasn't done anything about it. Maybe they can't. You have to move on.
A few months ago, I posted here that I'd love Dolby TrueHD for iTunes movies - it never happened but looking at my life, since then, I've worked in Vietnam, Bali, Tokyo, Amsterdam, Paris, Lyon, Barcelona, Valencia, Alicante, East London & Cape Town, Vienna and Berlin. I've met some of the most incredible people that have left imprints on my heart & soul - I met people that were grateful for the sunshine and my food leftovers in Vietnam, I met soul searchers in Bali. I realised that Dolby TrueHD, TV and all of that materialistic junk that some Westerners love and get stressed over really isn't effect my life or have any real value in it whenever I travelled and saw the many cultures that I experience year in year out on my travels.
And that's the beauty of it and and that's the enemy of things when you put your trust in materialism and rely on it.
You realise that life is short, far too short to spend time of AVForums taking to dull people about TV. TV is dull - it should carry a govt health warning - it ages people and often causes obesity. The world moves on fast, and todays frame rate skip really won't matter when you actually analyse what makes you happy in life and what has lasting memories upon you.

Yeah .... well I want my films to play at the correct framerate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.