Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikelets456

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2022
Bucks County, PA
So I bought a new Apple TV 4K newest model. All was fine for a few weeks now once in a while, I’ll turn on Apple TV and they’ll be no sound whatsoever…even the “clicking” sounds are muted. But if I unplug the HDMI cable and plug back in, or reboot, it’s good for a day or so then happens again. Thoughts?

FarmerBob

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
I have the Gen1 TV4K. About a year ago I had to replace a defective Pioneer AVR that caused a good deal of damage to my speakers. I got a Yamaha ATMOS AVR. Off the top I noticed that with the TV4K lots of Handshake Issues with audio and video dropping all the time. I blamed the Yamaha and have been talking to Yamaha about it.

This last Amazon FireTV 4K MAX release I got a new one for the family. I also got a great deal when trading in our FSHD. I went to wipe the HD through my big media system with the Handshake issues. Plugged it in an empty port and "Waddya Know, No Handshake Issues and Amazing Sound and Picture!"

So now I'm using the Families FS4K Gen1 and rarely touch the TV4K. Eventually I'll probably dump it since I can't fully set it up without an iPhone running iOS 16+ and the handshake issues. I haven't tried the newest version of which I was just about to get one . . . but not just yet. FireTV Gen2 first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.