Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AstroRexaur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2021
I preordered the new Apple TV 4K, it took more time to arrive that promised by Apple. I contacted Apple by chat and they offered me a full refund and I accepted. That same day bought the ATV by Amazon and arrived next day without any problems. BUT, today just heading out of my apartment, I open the door and saw a box. It was strange because I wasn't expecting nothing, I opened it and was the Apples' ATV order that I've already cancelled and was fully refunded a long time ago. What should I do? What are the consequences? Apple will charge me for this? Should I return the Amazon/Apple one? Can I keep it (Apples)?

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Call Apple and let them know. Most likely they're just going to say keep it because it's not a big deal to big corporation like that.

• Haha
Reactions: AstroRexaur

ScrumpyDaniel

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2019
It's possible their system may get flagged that you had one delivered, in which case they may then charge you again. Whichever one is easier to return i'd probably return. Up to you.

AstroRexaur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2021
It's possible their system may get flagged that you had one delivered, in which case they may then charge you again. Whichever one is easier to return i'd probably return. Up to you.
But they can charge me even though it’s not an authorized transaction? The order already was canceled and refunded by Apple.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
You was refunded therefore the item does not belong to you, it belongs to Apple. Granted it may take some time for Apple to realise their error but once they do they will come calling. Regardless of what others will post in here about keepng it because it's Apples mistake blah blah blah, the usual crap, if you keep it it will be classed as theft because Apple refunded you and as such you should return it because it no longer belongs to you.

Just do the right thing, contact Apple and tell them they have sent the item in error and can they please send you return label/return packaging so you can send it back.

Last edited by a moderator:

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
if you keep it it will be classed as theft because Apple refunded you and as such you should return it because it no longer belongs to you
I don’t think it would be legally qualified as theft. Apple is the one that dropped the Apple TV at OP’s house even if a refund was approved by Apple, and OP didn’t do any illegal/fraudulent workaround to get this unit. I definitely think the wise thing to do would be to contact Apple and try to return it to them, but I doubt that Apple cares enough about a 150$ product to notice they gave a product for free, much less pressing charges for it. I would be very surprised for that to be considered a theft anyway. But yeah, the right thing to do would definitely to at least notice Apple of its error

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2019
But they can charge me even though it’s not an authorized transaction? The order already was canceled and refunded by Apple.

Just don't be surprised if Apple charges you for it in the future. It's authorized because you kept it. Believe me, there's a record of it somewhere, it just hasn't caught up to you yet. So it's your risk to take.

Reactions: strongy

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Why is this even a question?

Because, as you probably have noticed, the mainstreaming of message boards and social media has led to a psychologically interesting use case: asking disembodied strangers for permission to do something that feels wrong to the questioner.

One example of this that really sticks in my mind is the message board Amazon hosted for people in the Vine program. Even though Amazon employees monitored and often moderated the Vine forum, it was very common to see "questions" that involved breaking the rules governing Vine. Not a smart move if you wanted to continue receiving free stuff.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
One example of this that really sticks in my mind is the message board Amazon hosted for people in the Vine program. Even though Amazon employees monitored and often moderated the Vine forum, it was very common to see "questions" that involved breaking the rules governing Vine. Not a smart move if you wanted to continue receiving free stuff.

Those were probably the same special people that leave 1-star reviews on Amazon and say, "Product was 5-stars, but the package came dented." 😂

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

I believe legally they could charge if you they discovered the error because you actually received the product. Probably best to just let them know to save yourself a headache later.

Just recently, Sonos has an error and people who ordered one item received like 10 of them. They let them know they would be charged if they did not send them back. They handled the communication all wrong, but they had the right to charge the customers if the items were not returned.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
You ordered but canceled the order, and one showed up that you didn't order.

Legally* they can't charge you.
If they could charge you, there would be nothing stopping them from sending an appleTV to every house in America, and then sending them to collections when they don't pay. Obviously apple probably wouldn't do this, but others could.

One possible exception to this, if you cancelled while the item was already in transit. But in that case, they shouldn't refund till the item was back in their possession.

Morally, the right thing to do is probably to call and ask them.

*not a lawyer, but have seen this explained elsewhere.

Reactions: fwmireault
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.