Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tarpleyg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
I have 3 of the same Apple TVs. All running latest updates. One of them is connected via ethernet and the other two are connected via wireless. I’ve been using Youtube TV for probably almost a year now and in the past two months or so, I have noticed that the resolution most often defaults to 240p on the ATV that’s wired. I usually have to manually change it from within the Youtube TV app. Every once in a while it will “fix” itself and change to 720p or 1080p(if the video is streamed that high). Youtube support just points the finger at Apple so no luck there. Is anyone else experiencing something similar?

Reactions: MacElliott

telferpark

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2017
I have 3 of the same Apple TVs. All running latest updates. One of them is connected via ethernet and the other two are connected via wireless. I’ve been using Youtube TV for probably almost a year now and in the past two months or so, I have noticed that the resolution most often defaults to 240p on the ATV that’s wired. I usually have to manually change it from within the Youtube TV app. Every once in a while it will “fix” itself and change to 720p or 1080p(if the video is streamed that high). Youtube support just points the finger at Apple so no luck there. Is anyone else experiencing something similar?
[doublepost=1543670307][/doublepost]

Same here. Deleted the app, unplugged everything as well and still having the same issue. Can manually change to 720p but changing channels reverts to 240p.

tarpleyg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
[doublepost=1543670307][/doublepost]

Same here. Deleted the app, unplugged everything as well and still having the same issue. Can manually change to 720p but changing channels reverts to 240p.
Well, at least we’re not alone LOL. Thanks!

tarpleyg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Have you reported the issue to YTTV? They are active on twitter and facebook.

@YouTubeTV
Of course. I wrote in my OP that they said go bug Apple about it. Have you ever actually gotten help from Apple? I never have and quit trying.

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
Of course. I wrote in my OP that they said go bug Apple about it. Have you ever actually gotten help from Apple? I never have and quit trying.

I also sent them (YTTV) a message so maybe it will help the cause as I notice this sometimes
[doublepost=1543713607][/doublepost]From YTTV:

Thanks for reaching out to us, Jeffrey! We're experiencing a widespread issue with streaming quality on Apple TV devices. We're working hard on a fix, but don't have an exact ETA yet. We really appreciate your patience. Please try switching your quality setting from AUTO.

Reactions: tarpleyg

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
Today they say We are aware of the video quality problems with Apple TV and are working on a resolution. We've confirmed factory resetting your Apple TV can resolve the problem but it isn't guaranteed. Click the link to reach out to Apple TV support. We hope this helps! http://goo.gl/s5npct

So still not fixed

MacElliott

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2018
Same issue here. YouTube TV keeps telling people the problem is with their Internet connection, telling them to reboot their router, reinstall the app and all that nonsense. Now they're telling us it's an issue with their streaming quality, which is a complete lie.
[doublepost=1544103371][/doublepost]Apple doesn't write the apps, but Apple could boot this crappy YouTube TV app from its platform.

tarpleyg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Same issue here. YouTube TV keeps telling people the problem is with their Internet connection, telling them to reboot their router, reinstall the app and all that nonsense. Now they're telling us it's an issue with their streaming quality, which is a complete lie.
[doublepost=1544103371][/doublepost]Apple doesn't write the apps, but Apple could boot this crappy YouTube TV app from its platform.
Well, I certainly don't want Apple to get rid of it...that's my main TV platform. I can live with it but it's be nice if YT would just fix it.

gsucyclist

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2014
I'm having the same issue. Manually changing resolution works, but I have to do it every time I change the channel and I get the lovely spinning dots every time I change the channel with is frustrating, when before channels changed very quickly. This just started for me about a week ago. I hope they get this fixed soon as I cut the cord and this is the main app I use to watch TV. The good thing about cutting the cord though, is I'm free to move to another service whenever I want if they don't get it fixed soon

tarpleyg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
I'm having the same issue. Manually changing resolution works, but I have to do it every time I change the channel and I get the lovely spinning dots every time I change the channel with is frustrating, when before channels changed very quickly. This just started for me about a week ago. I hope they get this fixed soon as I cut the cord and this is the main app I use to watch TV. The good thing about cutting the cord though, is I'm free to move to another service whenever I want if they don't get it fixed soon
If you leave it at the lower resolution, will it fix itself in a few minutes? Mine does most of the time in less than 5 minutes.

gsucyclist

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2014
If you leave it at the lower resolution, will it fix itself in a few minutes? Mine does most of the time in less than 5 minutes.

It does usually fix itself after a few minutes. Sometimes it will revert back to the lower resolution. The problem seems to be that its defaulting to the 240p resolution whenever you change the channel, etc.

gsucyclist

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2014
Mine was much better today. One of the engineers from youtube tv over on reddit said they pushed out a "fix" last night that should help some, but there is still an underlining issue that has been escalated to Apple that they have to fix

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.