Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

earleitchon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2019
My Apple TV 4th Gen no longer turns on my TV with the Siri Remote. All other functions work (turn off, volume). Anyone else have this problem and/or have a solution

ZStech

Suspended
Feb 3, 2019
Hiya. Also you may try to check Apple TV for updates if it's set to "manualy". Maybe it will help.

teezy

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
Tri-State Area, USA
Here are a few things to check:
- make sure your tv still has HDMI CEC or HDMI Device Control enabled; on occasion, these settings can revert to default without notice (particularly if your TV can automatically install firmware/software updates)
- make sure your Apple TV “Control TVs and Receivers” is enabled. Again, this is a setting that can randomly revert to default (particularly after software updates).
- try it with a different HDMI cable, and a different tv that also supports HDMI CEC (if possible)

Last edited:

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
- try it with a different HDMI cable, and a different tv that also supports HDMI CEC (if possible)
Although it is always possible to have a faulty HDMI cable, in case of CEC it is the very last suspect.
Firstly - CEC is extremely slow bus - 500kbps only.
Secondly, if other commands work, then it can not be the cable.
@earleitchon - have you added devices to your CEC chain lately? This has created all sorts of weird problems for me. At the end I had to disconnect my IPTV set-top box from CEC (there are special adapters to do that).

Apr 3, 2017
I've got this same issue with my brand new Apple TV 4k... however, my Apple TV "HD" that I upgraded from never had this problem. I've tried different HDMI ports on my TV, along with one other 18Gbps HDMI cable, and that does not resolve the issue. The only way I can get video to display from my Apple TV after using it to wake up my TV via CEC is by unplugging and plugging back in the HDMI cable going to the port on the TV, or to cycle the inputs.

Bobby dazzler

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2013
Here are a few things to check:
- make sure your tv still has HDMI CEC or HDMI Device Control enabled; on occasion, these settings can revert to default without notice (particularly if your TV can automatically install firmware/software updates)
- make sure your Apple TV “Control TVs and Receivers” is enabled. Again, this is a setting that can randomly revert to default (particularly after software updates).
THANK YOU!!!!
You have no idea how long I’ve been trying to get my ATV to switch on the telly.
Now it works again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.