Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

etaleb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
Guys - there are multiple cloud IDs using the Apple TV. Will HomeKit work when I am traveling if my ID is not the one that’s currently signed into AppleTV?

Thanks

etaleb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
I got it to work, but now in my home app, it says Apple TV paused, and I don’t know how to fix it

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I got it to work, but now in my home app, it says Apple TV paused, and I don’t know how to fix it
Is it on and playing anything? If so, force close the Home app and re-open it. It should refresh the status. This has been an ongoing bug. Home app needs a pull down to refresh that I’ve suggested to Apple for a while.

Reactions: sparky672

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
but now in my home app, it says Apple TV paused, and I don’t know how to fix it

You can't. It's the HomeKit crap-ware by Apple.

If yours mostly says "paused", then it's fine - don't push your luck! Just wait until it says "playing" while nobody is home and there's no way to verify or force it "off". LOL.

Mine has shown "paused", "not playing", "playing", "stopped", "standby", etc... whatever it shows is rarely an accurate depiction of physical reality.

I wonder what iOS and tvOS 17 will bring us today.

03-grandma-looking-at-computer-275752892.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Itinj24

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
With iOS 17 and tvOS 17, I am seeing the Apple TV status in Home update itself within a few seconds of taking an action.

"Playing" when something is playing on the Apple TV

"Not Playing" when the Apple TV is turned "off" (I actually had to also force quit the app I was using) EDIT: I just notice a "Stopped" status here too. No idea what the difference is between the two.

"Paused" when I was playing something and hit 'pause' button. (seems to stick on this even after turning off Apple TV unless you force quit the apps)

Not perfect, but it's better than before.

IMO, much of the confusion revolves around this concept of the iPhone and Apple TV not really having a "Stop" button. When you play something, it gets "loaded" into the "deck" (my terminology) and you can only "pause" it. Sometimes it remains there for days, or until you "replace" it with something else. It's "booger-ware" and I think it's a pain in the ass... it's what causes a song from two days ago to start playing in my car when I have not hit play. There needs to be a hard "STOP" function that CLEARS out the deck. Force-quitting the Music app has no effect on the contents of the deck either... booger-ware.

EDIT: I now just noticed a "Stopped" status that I cannot explain. When OFF, it shows either "Stopped" or "Not Playing". What is the difference? Does Apple document how this is supposed to work?

Last edited:
Reactions: b17777 and Itinj24
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.