Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SadBoy Pro

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
UK
So I’ve been rebuilding my library due to a whole bunch of server issues and everything has been fine apart from the transition to the new ‘Music’ and ‘TV’ apps. I happened to quite like iTunes for all its quirks. Restarting Home Sharing ended up being a major headache.

Any way. Last week I noticed that the age ratings/certificates on my movies were behaving very strangely (these are the U.K. format). I.e. a 12 and PG-13 displayed as mini banners like normal-ish. However, PG, 15, 18 certificates all display as huge, and I mean huge! They obscure the title and resolution (not that that’s working properly by displaying HD on 4K titles, and when it’s tagged as 4K it doesn’t show up on the Apple TV)

So here is a link to my reddit post if attaching an image here doesn’t work.
01AC5200-3D91-40AD-8150-95ACB329D2F5.png
https://www.reddit.com/r/appletv/comments/g8bdcq

Clint1009

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2014
Are you still suffering this issue? I've had the same for the last two weeks and found no reason or fix for it. I'm running an Apple TV 4K on the most recent firmware (not the beta releases) and a 2011 iMac with High Sierra and iTunes.

I assume it's a bug in the most recent ATV update?
[automerge]1589642397[/automerge]
I should add, I've done a full reset on the ATV to no avail....

Last edited:

SadBoy Pro

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
UK
Are you still suffering this issue? I've had the same for the last two weeks and found no reason or fix for it. I'm running an Apple TV 4K on the most recent firmware (not the beta releases) and a 2011 iMac with High Sierra and iTunes.

I assume it's a bug in the most recent ATV update?
[automerge]1589642397[/automerge]
I should add, I'm done a full reset on the ATV to no avail....

I am still experiencing the issue running TVOS 13.4 I have checked a different unit now running the previous build of TVOS and the certificates display as expected. I also notice that anything rated 12 is displaying with an MPAA tag not a BBFC tag.

Clint1009

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2014
I'm glad it's not just me! Assuming it's a bug with the last update then or a conflict with iTunes perhaps? I considered installing the Beta release to see if they've sorted it but wanted to stay on the stable general updates.

Is there an easy way to roll back on an update? I usually just leave mine to auto-update so I was hoping it might go away with the next general release (arriving soon maybe?).

Can't say I've noticed with the 12 tags although I don't think I've got any 12 rated films in my library.... I can confirm that all my PG/15/18 certificates suffer the same issue though.

SadBoy Pro

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
UK
I'm glad it's not just me! Assuming it's a bug with the last update then or a conflict with iTunes perhaps? I considered installing the Beta release to see if they've sorted it but wanted to stay on the stable general updates.

Is there an easy way to roll back on an update? I usually just leave mine to auto-update so I was hoping it might go away with the next general release (arriving soon maybe?).

Can't say I've noticed with the 12 tags although I don't think I've got any 12 rated films in my library.... I can confirm that all my PG/15/18 certificates suffer the same issue though.

I am not aware of how to roll back TVOS at this point. And neither do I know about the beta release and if it fixes the issue. I will be looking into these things though.

It’s just yet another headache considering the change in movie art for the TV app on MacOS being landscape and the TVOS ones being portrait and there being no way to have both with custom rips. You can have only one. Fortunately I mainly use the Apple TV for my consumption so after they’ve been dumped into the TV app for home sharing I don’t have to look at it. But it still annoys me aha.

Clint1009

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2014
Fortunately I’m still stuck on iTunes as I’m limited to High Sierra on my 2011 iMac so I’m yet to witness those troubles!

The TV app sounds like a right mess from all I’ve heard, so happy to stay away for now. I was worried it was something caused by running iTunes on the Mac and the latest update on the ATV.

I guess it’s just waiting and hoping the next update cures it!

SadBoy Pro

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
UK
Fortunately I’m still stuck on iTunes as I’m limited to High Sierra on my 2011 iMac so I’m yet to witness those troubles!

The TV app sounds like a right mess from all I’ve heard, so happy to stay away for now. I was worried it was something caused by running iTunes on the Mac and the latest update on the ATV.

I use iTunes on my windows workstation and obviously use the new apps on my Macs. But obviously due to them mainly being servers for the AppleTV they’re largely ignored beyond the Music app.

SadBoy Pro

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
UK

Updated to 13.4.5 and there is no change. I need to check the clearing of the album art cache on the server computer chough.

Clint1009

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2014
Updated to 13.4.5 and there is no change. I need to check the clearing of the album art cache on the server computer chough.

Ah balls! Was hoping that’ll cure it.
Didn’t realise there is an Album Art cache, I’ll have to have a look. Fingers crossed I don’t mess anything else up here!

HelixOmnimedia

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2006
Traveling The World
I've notice this since the last Apple TV update, (mainly in TV shows I imported) - the latest update TV OS 13.4.5, and MacOS 10.15.4 - still no change.
So I don't know what to do.

Hopefully a fix will come soon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.