Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aggedor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 10, 2020
Since updating to tvOS 17.3, my Apple TV is being very "aggressive" (only way I an describe it) in selecting itself as the TV input.

I have an LG 55B7V OLED and Samsung Q800C soundbar. The Apple TV is connected to the soundbar. The soundbar is connected to the TV via HDMI ARC. I have a blu-ray player and a Sky TV box (UK) connected directly to the TV.

When the TV is turned on, the Apple TV will turn on and select itself as the input. If I try and change to the blu-ray player, it'll change, then the Apple TV will take control again. Same if I try and select Sky.

After 3-4 changes, the Apple TV lets me choose something else.

This wasn't an issue with 17.2, so I assume it's related to the new update.

Anything I should do, or submit a bug report to Apple?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Pull the AppleTV connection out of the soundbar and directly connect it to the TV too, like the other 2. It may be getting priority since it's the only source directly connected to the soundbar.

If you don't have any more HDMI inputs on the TV perhaps switch the connection with either the blu-ray or Sky- whichever you actually use least and then turn off CEC on THAT device (the one you connect to the soundbar). Then, when you want to use that device, you'll need to manually turn it on and/or select the input (since CEC won't be automating it).

OR, get yourself either a HDMI switch box (to give you more HDMI inputs) or a Receiver (with more HDMI inputs). Plug EVERYTHING into either of those and then HDMI out to TV. TV eArc will output the audio to the soundbar. The source you want to watch now will CEC control the TV through the switch box or Receiver (sending both video & audio over HDMI) and the TV will CEC control the soundbar, routing audio to that soundbar.

As is you have a kind of hybrid setup where some sources are leaning on the TV managing the soundbar but AppleTV is managing the soundbar directly (because of the direct connection).

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
This has always happened with my ATV connected to my LG TV—long before 17.3. Every time I turn on the TV or a device connected to the TV, the ATV will turn on with the TV switching to it as the input. Very annoying.

Aggedor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 10, 2020
Pull the AppleTV connection out of the soundbar and directly connect it to the TV too, like the other 2. It may be getting priority since it's the only source directly connected to the soundbar.

If you don't have any more HDMI inputs on the TV perhaps switch the connection with either the blu-ray or Sky- whichever you actually use least and then turn off CEC on THAT device (the one you connect to the soundbar). Then, when you want to use that device, you'll need to manually turn it on and/or select the input (since CEC won't be automating it).

OR, get yourself either a HDMI switch box (to give you more HDMI inputs) or a Receiver (with more HDMI inputs). Plug EVERYTHING into either of those and then HDMI out to TV. TV eArc will output the audio to the soundbar. The source you want to watch now will CEC control the TV through the switch box or Receiver (sending both video & audio over HDMI) and the TV will CEC control the soundbar, routing audio to that soundbar.

As is you have a kind of hybrid setup where some sources are leaning on the TV managing the soundbar but AppleTV is managing the soundbar directly (because of the direct connection).
Thanks, that's all super useful. I've got the Apple TV plugged directly into the soundbar in an attempt to correct audio synch, but I'll experiment and see how I go. Turning Match Frame Rate to off seems to have solved most audio synch problems anyway. My TV only has ARC, not eARC, don't know if that makes a difference.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Prob not. Same suggestions apply: all 3 sources connected to TV HDMI, TV Arc to soundbar.

If audio sync issue persists, try shuffling up the ports. And, of course, be sure cables are good- swap cables and/or buy a new one (and if so, choose tech overkill like 8K high bandwidth).

Last edited:
Reactions: Aggedor
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.