Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
I airplay all the time, but mostly for other people (presentations, kids, etc). There is a noticable delay, about .75 seconds. Makes it impossible to use computer and AppleTV display at the same time, the delay messes with your brain.

Not sure how they plan on doing this with Mavericks. If you have HDMI, you don't need Airplay as you can plug right in to a TV.

negativzero

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
Don't have any delay on my Apple TV.
By chance are you running on wireless for your Apple TV and Mac???

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I airplay all the time, but mostly for other people (presentations, kids, etc). There is a noticable delay, about .75 seconds. Makes it impossible to use computer and AppleTV display at the same time, the delay messes with your brain.

Not sure how they plan on doing this with Mavericks. If you have HDMI, you don't need Airplay as you can plug right in to a TV.
I would think that the delay would only be annoying if you;re running something that displays on both screens.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah, wireless N.

----------

But wait - doesn't airplay require wireless? I had all wired gigabit before and I got no airplay options, which is why I bought a AExB so I could get N.

legioxi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
But wait - doesn't airplay require wireless? I had all wired gigabit before and I got no airplay options, which is why I bought a AExB so I could get N.

Pretty sure I've always gotten the icon when wired in. My iMac doesn't use wireless and shows the icon for my ATV and AE.

negativzero

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011

I'm hooked up to my gigabit switch right now with an Apple TV and MacBook on both ends and I'm doing multi-display on my TV via mirroring. So I'm pretty sure it works on a wired connection :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.