Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uBetchya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2016
Anyone else having problems airplaying things from YouTube to the Apple TV? When my iPhone goes to sleep, it disconnects from airplay. This issue is on both HD and 4K models and only came about with the new update.

Bballrob

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2017
Alaska
I recently had issues in the past few days trying to airplay ANYTHING. Device shows it’s connected to the AppleTV, but nothing shows up on the screen.

Reactions: shotts56

uBetchya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2016
I recently had issues in the past few days trying to airplay ANYTHING. Device shows it’s connected to the AppleTV, but nothing shows up on the screen.

That’s odd. It only happens to me when I try to AirPlay from YouTube. But everything else works fine.

shotts56

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2008
Scotland

Me too, ever since updating to TVOS14. Airplay now very flaky, and keeps disconnecting every few minutes, making watching the football on Saturday a very frustrating experience. Has been fine up until last week's update.

Reactions: Beamerboy

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
airplay requires a very stable network.
Try rebooting your router. (yes I know it started with an iOS update)

Anyone else having problems airplaying things from YouTube to the Apple TV? When my iPhone goes to sleep, it disconnects from airplay. This issue is on both HD and 4K models and only came about with the new update.
That problem is on your phone, not the aTV, so shouldn't matter what model you're sending to.

are you airplaying from the app? or the browser? try the other one, see if it helps

I've seen stories recently where the new picture-in-picutre feature has been disabled for non-premium users, not sure if it's related or not. But app/website developers can also enable/disable airplay as they want.

uBetchya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2016
airplay requires a very stable network.
Try rebooting your router. (yes I know it started with an iOS update)

That problem is on your phone, not the aTV, so shouldn't matter what model you're sending to.

are you airplaying from the app? or the browser? try the other one, see if it helps

I've seen stories recently where the new picture-in-picutre feature has been disabled for non-premium users, not sure if it's related or not. But app/website developers can also enable/disable airplay as they want.
I'm not sure if it's my phone. I recently got a new replacement iPhone from Apple and I updated it with the latest update before even setting it up. I also factory restored my ATV with the latest update. I also noticed that my friend was having the same issue as well. And I do pay for YouTube Premium.

zobby

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2011
I’d agree that AirPlay - that used to be perfect on the previous iOS version - is very unstable on iOS 14. The only thing that’s changed for me is upgrading iOS on both iPhone (11 pro max) and atv (4K version). Hopefully an update will fix it.

londonon

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2015
I have similar airplay issues, but it applies only to Apple TV updated to tvOS 14.0.1.

- Apple TV4K updated to tvOS 14.0.1: airplay disconnects when connected to 15" MBP or 13" MBP
- Apple TV4K with tvOS 13.4.8: NO ISSUES when connected to 15" MBP or 13" MBP

fab465

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2019
Same my purchases of movies won’t come up either

CBA

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2008
Seems to be the tvos14 update. I could normally use AppleTv to play music through the house and outside to speakers coupled to airport expresses. I lose the ability to play music on the speakers associated with the Apple TV once I selected to airplay to any other airplay speaker after Tvos14 update. My iPhone of ios13.4 can still play to all together (TV and two airport speakers). Using the iPhone as a remote, I can only play the appleTv speakers and even when selecting other airport speakers they won't play. How do I revert the tvOS update?

jezzastern

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2008
I’m using tvOS 14.0.1 and iOS 13.7 without problems, which suggests that the problem may lie with ios 14 rather than the latest tvOS.

CBA

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2008
For me its the tvOS14 update. TV was able to airplay fine on its own before. No change was done to the phone. @jezzastern did you change any settings in airplay/homekit after the update

rmorgansd

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2020
I had the same problems and it is solved now. My 11 Pro Max and my 2012 MacBook Pro all stopped working with AirPlay to my AppleTV 4k after the TVOS 14 update. Various things would happen but it would not make or keep a connection. Today I updated to OS 14.2 and both AirPlay and Screen Mirroring once again work instantly.

Florentine

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2009
I only hear the sound when trying to connect Airplay to Apple TV 4K. I heard one should go to Computer on Apple TV. When I click there, it goes directly to iTunes but video, testing with YouTube, is not there.
Does distance from router matter? Mine is quite far away. Using 10.15.7.

mpainesyd

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Are you trying to send audio from a Mac to stereo Homepods? If so this only works when using iTunes on the Mac. Other apps are unable to Airplay to stereo Homepods (Although there might be workarounds for this, like Airparrot).

Florentine

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2009
I’m trying to watch movies on my TV via links that have been sent to me on Apple TV which is connected to the TV and Airplay from my computer. My son is able to do it, playing the film on his computer, connecting the Airplay wirelessly to Apple TV. He clicks Computer in on Apple TV. When I do that it goes to iTunes, as I said.
Weird.

Hollandweavers

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2020
I have two Apple TVs, and I like to play content on my main TV and use airplay to play it on the other so I can hear music throughout my house. After a recent update (14.2 now) I find that if I select my second Apple TV, it will deselect the main TV and then I have to click on the first one again to get both to play. This works for Apple Music, but when I try to play the Pandora app and add the second TV it stops playing on the first. If I deselect the second, it will then resume playing on the first. I can only hear one at a time. Before the update I could listen to Pandora on both.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.