Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
Well, I have them paired to four devices, and franlkly I think it is part of the problem I'm having with disconnects. I think the behaviour of the W1 chip with near bluetooth devices and it essentially activates them when say the lip is opened. I continue to have a problem with the phone disconnecting when my ipad is near, and also when my laptop is near. I'm going to try and drop the connections from all those devices, and see if the random drops from my iphone stop. Either on calls or when streaming. It's a bit annoying at the moment, as there really isn't any indication why it occurs and what to do about it - fix wise.

Brings up another question though. How will the devices get firmware updates? Both the case and the airpods? Will it be via lightning plugged into a computer, or via wireless connected to a device? Many people may not have a computer to plug it into, so I would think it would have to be with a phone or ipad or other wireless device.

dbknightx

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2009
This is not necessarily AppleTV related, but a general Bluetooth question: Do the AirPods disconnect from standard Bluetooth automatically when returned to their case?

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
I paired my air pods to one of our apple TVs. I took them out, put them in their case. When I put them back on they went straight to the ATV. (In my limited playing around... just got them yesterday... they connect back to the last device. I have them paired to ATV, iPhone, iPad and iMac.)

So it appears I'll have to go to the settings to get it to connect to each device. I didn't expect that. Or I just haven't played around with them enough.

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
I paired my air pods to one of our apple TVs. I took them out, put them in their case. When I put them back on they went straight to the ATV. (In my limited playing around... just got them yesterday... they connect back to the last device. I have them paired to ATV, iPhone, iPad and iMac.)

So it appears I'll have to go to the settings to get it to connect to each device. I didn't expect that. Or I just haven't played around with them enough.

Clicking Play on my Watch will automatically take back the connection to my AirPods from my MacBook or from my Apple TV4 (AirPods are the only BT destination paired with my Watch, so it selects them on its own from the one item list). Case must be open (or AirPods out, or in ears) before clicking Play. The iPhone switches automatically from the Watch.

If AirPods are connected to my MacBook or Apple TV4, and I want to switch to iPhone, I must select them from a list first.

Less automation than what my wishful brain heard in the keynote, but it's making sense as imagine how my devices could anticipate my intentions.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.