Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manuseg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2017
Hi guys ! I'm new here, currently have 7 HUE lights with remotes and sensors, 1 iHome smart plug and a Apple TV 4 as a hub.

Currently using my location to turn on all lights when I get home and turn it off when I leave. I have an Apple TV 4 and I love it when the screen saver is on on aerial mode. I have a Samsung HD TV and I plugged it into the iHome smart plug, so when I turn the plug on the tv goes on. So if the Apple TV is on on screensaver mode, the aerial mode starts. Exactly what I want.

Question is, is there any troubles to let the Apple TV 4 always on on screensaver mode ? It goes on screensaver mode after 2 minutes. I want to get another smart plug, so I will setup a scene to turn on the tv when I'm home and turn it off when I leave or turn off all lights.

wesley96

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Screensaver function is intended to kick in during idle time. So it seems that you want the delay to be as low as possible. Unfortunately, you probably already know that the lowest delay time is 2 minutes, since it's the setting you are using.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
The AppleTV 4K has a fan in it. Leaving it on all the time could cause unnecessary wear on the fan and dust build up in the unit.

However the AppleTV 4 does not have a fan. It could likely stay fully on 24/7/365 without an real negative effects. Besides is it ever actually off? I haven't measured its power usage between on and off but I doubt it would be a significant waste in power.

Assuming I'm reading your post correctly and your TV powers on when power is applied and you want the screen saver to be showing (is that right?) then your setup is fine.

manuseg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2017
The AppleTV 4K has a fan in it. Leaving it on all the time could cause unnecessary wear on the fan and dust build up in the unit.

However the AppleTV 4 does not have a fan. It could likely stay fully on 24/7/365 without an real negative effects. Besides is it ever actually off? I haven't measured its power usage between on and off but I doubt it would be a significant waste in power.

Assuming I'm reading your post correctly and your TV powers on when power is applied and you want the screen saver to be showing (is that right?) then your setup is fine.

Exactly ! The TV power on to show the screen saver when i get home. Sorry im french so maybe sometimes i dont express myself correctly.

Apple TV4 has been on for two days and it doesnt get hot at all. Wondering if its like a computer on screensaver mode, dont want to cause wear or issues by staying it on. Maybe i should ask to Apple

Thx for your replies guys !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.