Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssk85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2006
Hi

Ive been looking around all sorts of forums trying to work out the best resolution to watch my ripped movies/tv shows. It's all a little confusing and i was hoping someone here might be able to give me a definitive answer....

Whats the best resolution to watch my content on my apple tv, but that will still play on my ipod (as i dont want two copies of everything)? Also whats better for TV playback - H.264 or Mpeg 4?

I'd be grateful if someone here could help me out?!

Thanks
Suf

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
I Have Written A Tutorial On Just This Subject

Hi

Ive been looking around all sorts of forums trying to work out the best resolution to watch my ripped movies/tv shows. It's all a little confusing and i was hoping someone here might be able to give me a definitive answer....

Whats the best resolution to watch my content on my apple tv, but that will still play on my ipod (as i dont want two copies of everything)? Also whats better for TV playback - H.264 or Mpeg 4?
I guess my tutorial post #345 in the Handbrake Ripping DVDs to 5G iPod thread was a bit burried and hard to find. I have used this technique to rip thousands of TV shows recorded with EyeTV for both the Video iPod and TV. I use maximum dimensions allowed and 800kbps for SD and 1000kbps for HD. If your source isn't a DVD, then simply make a DVD Image (NOT burn a physical DVD) before ripping in Handbrake NON-H.264 to avoid larger file sizes.

ssk85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2006
Wow, thanks for the quick response. The info was just what i was looking for! :)

Cheers
Suf

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.