Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
There is a difference between having to follow existing bad laws that we don't agree with and criticizing proposed bad laws that have not come into being yet. If this comes into law, I would not fault Apple for complying with it.

The examples of tax and broadcasting standards are not new laws, they are simply bringing relevant parties under them after they had inadvertently been excluded because of technical definitions being outdated for the modern world a.k.a. “loopholes”.

Reactions: PlayUltimate

PlayUltimate

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2016
Boulder, CO
I don't see a problem with updating the regulations to include the changes to media offerings. When radio became popular new rules were needed. When TV broadcasting became popular new rules were needed. Streaming is becoming, more and more, the de facto means of consuming video media. Local/National regulations need to be put into place to meet the changing dynamics.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
I don't see a problem with updating the regulations to include the changes to media offerings. When radio became popular new rules were needed. When TV broadcasting became popular new rules were needed. Streaming is becoming, more and more, the de facto means of consuming video media. Local/National regulations need to be put into place to meet the changing dynamics.

Yes it makes no sense for the content on my TV coming from one input to be subject to different laws than the content coming from another input.

Reactions: camsoft

camsoft

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
Brighton, Sussex, UK.
I think this is great news. This is about holding streaming services to the same standards and regulations of liner TV broadcasters. This covers age ratings, ensuring content is safe for target audience, accurate not fake news etc. Why should streaming services regulate themselves in target markets?

Reactions: SaxPlayer

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
I've got no issues with this whatsoever. The rules are about decency, standards, impartiality etc etc so nothing for anyone to be afraid of, least of all the likes of Apple TV+.

Sam Squanch

macrumors regular
May 10, 2018
Weird how when Apple bends over for the likes of China and Russia on human rights abuses then people are very accommodating "unfortunately Apple has no choice but to follow the law..." but when countries ask Apple to follow the law on things like tax and broadcasting regulations people complain that Apple is being unfairly treated the same as everyone else
Agreed, I know that all the streaming services have to follow broadcasting standards in Canada so I see no reason why I shouldn't apply in Britain also. In all fairness, I don't know how it'll affect the streaming services there, Britain does have a history of censorship and moddle-coddling its audience so streaming services there might turn into a bland, bleached, and kiddie version compared to other countries and for that, I feel you Brit cousins.

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
Agreed, I know that all the streaming services have to follow broadcasting standards in Canada so I see no reason why I shouldn't apply in Britain also. In all fairness, I don't know how it'll affect the streaming services there, Britain does have a history of censorship and moddle-coddling its audience so streaming services there might turn into a bland, bleached, and kiddie version compared to other countries and for that, I feel you Brit cousins.

You shouldn't worry about us - it really isn't that bad at all. We have plenty of cutting edge TV. The standards really are to maintain the things that should be maintained and no more than that. People worry too much about this kind of stuff. It's not censorship and it's not mollycoddling.

WiseAJ

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2009
PDX
Tread careful UK, it'd be a shame for your Citizens to lose access to the likes of Ted Lasso, The Mandalorian, and the MCU.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
You know Apple TV+ is taking off when a major country threatens to regulate them. Good job, Apple! It's happening.

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
Tread careful UK, it'd be a shame for your Citizens to lose access to the likes of Ted Lasso, The Mandalorian, and the MCU.
Do you know what OFCOM is and prevents?
The majority of it is regulations state that adult content, pictures of violence etc have to be labelled so people with kids or people who don’t like those genre’s can easily avoid seeing that content. Apple of all the streaming platforms would be in favour of this, even Disney would be in favour of this considering in the USA they have separated the streaming platforms for their family friendly content, and more adult content, and have only recently launched their adult content under a different brand in the EU.

The rest of rules are there to prevent over advertising and the likes of Alex Jones spouting his conspiracy theories without any counter balance and/or evidence to his claims.

Last edited:

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Which standards do you not agree with?

Seems strange to me for a country to have a set of regulations on the content you can watch on TV and then allow streaming services to do what they want. Which is what your saying as far as I can tell but I don’t really know of any really controversial standards we enforce in the U.K which is why I ask which ones you are suggesting.
The main inconsistency is legal sexual activity being rated far more harshly than illegal violent activity. Swearing also judged more harshly.

The Theory of Everything (the story of Stephen Hawking) has little of consequence, yet gets a 12 rating, even less in The Imitation Game (the story of Alan Turing), but still a 12 rating. The same rating as the Bourne films that have a lot of violence.

Reactions: Santiago

runebinder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
Nottingham, UK
I'm guessing this will also be an opportunity for them to change the TV Licence rules so that streaming non-live media on Apple TV, Netflix, and Amazon Prime Video will now require a TV licence. It's no secret that the TV licence model doesn't currently have a future with so many people abandoning live TV.
That’s not how the license works. It’s only paid for BBC services, everything else TV wise is funded by advertising or paid contracts such as Sky or Virgin.

PlayUltimate

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2016
Boulder, CO
The main inconsistency is legal sexual activity being rated far more harshly than illegal violent activity. Swearing also judged more harshly.

The Theory of Everything (the story of Stephen Hawking) has little of consequence, yet gets a 12 rating, even less in The Imitation Game (the story of Alan Turing), but still a 12 rating. The same rating as the Bourne films that have a lot of violence.
That “inconsistency“ merely reflects the difference between your values and those of the regulators.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
That’s not how the license works. It’s only paid for BBC services, everything else TV wise is funded by advertising or paid contracts such as Sky or Virgin.
A TV licence pays for BBC, but is required for watching (or recording) any programme as it is being shown on any TV channel, however it is transmitted (plus anything on iPlayer), even Sky or Virgin. I think the post you quoted might be right that the scope of the licence requirements could be extended to include streaming at the same time as adding Ofcom regulation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.