Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

embotix

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2016
The screen on the new 16" MBP is the best display in the house!

I've been using it to watch Invasion and Foundation with the TV app.

But I've experienced a hard freeze twice now - at the end of an episode, sometimes I'll skip ahead through the end credits to see if there's any preview content after the credits. Bad habit, since, this doesn't seem to be a thing with Apple TV content. But regardless, as I'm doing this, using either the trackpad to scrub ahead, or arrow keys, my entire 16" M1 Max MBP will hard freeze and become unresponsive. Have to hold down the Touch ID / Power button to force a hard reboot.

Just starting this thread to see if any one else may be experiencing similar, and also, just to give myself another excuse to keep using and looking at this screen.

I think this is the crash log that was generated the first time I experienced it (seems the second crash I just experienced didn't generate a crash log).

From console.app:

Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 9.09.33 PM.png

PS - How is it that Netflix can make a 1000x better media app/experience than Apple for their own devices & platforms? I find the TV app lacking and flaky in general compared to using Netflix.

Zahni

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2019
I had also problems to play HDR movies and TV shows bought on Itunes. They wont start and the playback window closes immediately. Apple TV+ content plays fine. Netflix gives me HDR in Safari (!).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.