Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EuroChilli

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2021
Belgium
Just got my shiny new MacBook Air M1, amazing piece of kit; screen res, sound quality, and battery life is phenomenal, over 12 hours of streaming on a charge, Netflix, Amazon etc. Now I also signed up for the free year of Apple TV+ that came with the laptop, why not, it's free. However, as much as the drone footage over South America is otherworldly and I would love to keep watching it, I am burning through over 2GB of data per episode of Long Way Up, even with the so called 'Data Saver' setting turned on in the Apple TV app.

Truth be told, I live in Belgium and have access to uncapped Gigabit fibre, I have the connection in my apartment, but my wife and I have elected to stay on the cheapest connection via coax, which is fast enough, it's just capped at 300GB. This decision is primarily because we're not even supposed to be here for such extended periods of time....

So, my question is; how can we significantly reduce data usage on the Apple TV app for Big Sur, like Netflix and Amazon allows. This will obviously affect quality, but that's my problem, I am well aware of the 'sacrifice' that needs to be made, considering I used to think VHS quality was amazing...

Now I do have a workaround, and that involves me taking my laptop to the local library and downloading there, it's only a 10 minute walk, and it will at least get me off the couch for a while. The library download speed is the same as mine at home, 100Mpbs.

Last edited:

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Try downloading the episode. Download Options setting has the SD option, which is even smaller.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.