Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 27, 2005
With the removal of movies from iTunes, I'm finding it difficult to find what I'm looking for in the TV app. Example -- want to see what Apple has for The Polar Express. I search it in the TV app. Shows I can watch it on Hulu or Max. Nice, but I want to see what Apple has for buying it. So I scroll down to "How to watch" and there I see I can buy it from AppleTV for $9.99. But I want more info -- 4K or just HD? Dolby Atmos or Vision? When I tap on "Buy" from Apple, it wants to charge me right away without showing me what I'm buying.

How can I view movies from the Apple store and see the full movie information including resolution and surround/HDR versions before buying it?

It'd be nice if the "Store" tab in the TV app had it's own search instead of the app's universal search.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Best way is to use the iTunes app on a MacBook, Windows computer, or an iPhone or iPad running an older OS.

The AppleTV app is not very good and I'm hoping Apple quickly improves it.

I feel that Apple removed iTunes before adding useful features to the AppleTV app.

Reactions: kerr and dmylrea

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 27, 2005
Best way is to use the iTunes app on a MacBook, Windows computer, or an iPhone or iPad running an older OS.

The AppleTV app is not very good and I'm hoping Apple quickly improves it.

I feel that Apple removed iTunes before adding useful features to the AppleTV app.
Thanks. That seems to be a good workaround, but not very convenient as just checking my iPhone.

Reactions: Audit13

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
With the removal of movies from iTunes, I'm finding it difficult to find what I'm looking for in the TV app. Example -- want to see what Apple has for The Polar Express. I search it in the TV app. Shows I can watch it on Hulu or Max. Nice, but I want to see what Apple has for buying it. So I scroll down to "How to watch" and there I see I can buy it from AppleTV for $9.99. But I want more info -- 4K or just HD? Dolby Atmos or Vision? When I tap on "Buy" from Apple, it wants to charge me right away without showing me what I'm buying.

How can I view movies from the Apple store and see the full movie information including resolution and surround/HDR versions before buying it?

It'd be nice if the "Store" tab in the TV app had it's own search instead of the app's universal search.
I noticed the same thing last night. We shouldn't have to consult a Mac to see what resolution Apple is offering a t.v. show or movie.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Yes they have butchered the whole buying experience. I can’t even make out what is for sale and what comes from steaming. Apps on the Apple TV+ apps. Also when o search for some movies or TV shows that I’ve actually purchased and are available in my library it only brings up the steaming options. It’s an absolute shambles.

Eric Idle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2020
Yes they have butchered the whole buying experience. I can’t even make out what is for sale and what comes from steaming. Apps on the Apple TV+ apps. Also when o search for some movies or TV shows that I’ve actually purchased and are available in my library it only brings up the steaming options. It’s an absolute shambles.

100% agree.

That pretty much describes the whole Apple TV experience in a nutshell: an absolutely shambles.

Reactions: jazz1

JeffPerrin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
Agree as well. Discovered this while looking trying to find "Die Hard". (For a family Christmas movie night, of course! 😁)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.