Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rjpalumbo24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2020
So I have noticed recently that I can no longer search the TV app for *any* show, and get search results indicating which apps feature that content.

For example, I used to be able to search “BoJack Horseman”, and the show would be listed in the search results, I could tap it, and see that I could watch it through various services (HBO Max, Hulu, AT&T TV NOW, etc).

But now when I do this, there no search results. It appears that only Apple TV+ shows, or shows that are available through services you can subscribe to through the TV app (e.g. Showtime), are able to be searched for.

Note that I have allowed TV provider access for my various apps under “TV Provider” in Setting ion my iPhone. However this shouldn’t matter, because TV used to search all apps—even ones I hasn’t installed yet.

Is anybody else experiencing this? Is this a bug? (I have not tested IT on my Apple TVs or iPad or MacBook Pro yet). If not, could it be I just need to delete and reinstall the TV app?

This is extremely annoying.

UPDATE: so I see now that this seems to only be an issue with specific shows and movies. There also seems to be an issue with some services show showing up in “more ways to watch”. For example, a movie I recently rented on Prime shows up as only being available through Apple TV, despite searching for other shows and movies that do show Prime in “more ways to watch”. So I guess you could say that my problem is solved—it just so happens that the search function in the TV is incredibly faulty/incomplete, etc.

Last edited:

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
I just did a search for "BoJack Horseman" in the TV app and go no results. Then I searched in the HBO Max and Hulu apps, as well as directly in the iTunes Store, with no results. This tells me that that show is not currently available.

This can happen if the IP owner/rights holder removes the property from online access.

rjpalumbo24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2020
It’s a Netflix original, still quite available through Netflix. Though not able to be found via the TV app. Another Netflix original, Big Mouth, for example, can be found in the TV app as a show that can be watched on Netflix. Which again suggests that certain shows just…can’t be searched for, even though they’re available to watched.

And again, these are just examples. But makes it difficult to find shows that I might otherwise not know is available or not, that may actually be available…but not searchable. And yes I can go through all my apps, but the big selling point of the TV app (when it was introduced) was that one wouldn’t have to do that anymore

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
Ah, that partially explains it then. Netflix does not support the TV app which explains why BoJack Horseman does not show up in a search. In general, if you search for something that is available on Netflix but is also available via other sources then it should show up in a search and you can see “ways to watch.” If the item you are searching for is only available on Netflix generally it will not show up in a search.

I do not have a solid explanation for why Big Mouth, a Netflix exclusive, does show up in a search, though. Unless Netflix has somehow allowed it to show up in Siri searches on the Apple TV.

Reactions: rjpalumbo24

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
how very strange, Netflix isn't supposed to be supported by the TV app, but like you said big mouth shows up, as do several other Netflix exclusive shows (ratched, Witcher, f is for family).
Other shows do not like briderton, or Stargate SG-1 which shows the other services it's available on, but not Netflix.

But, in the tv app when you click 'open in Netflix" it simply opens Netflix, instead of taking you to the show page or starting playback like it should.
also there's no Netflix option in the "connect to TV" settings where you choose what apps show up.

Maybe they're in the process of adding it to the TV app

Reactions: rjpalumbo24

rjpalumbo24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2020
I did not know about a lack of support for Netflix in the TV app. Though this also extends to other platforms besides Netflix. But maybe that’s because they were on Prime…which I would assume the TV app also doesn’t support

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
Actually it is the other way around. Netflix has chosen to not support the features in the TV app. In my experience most streaming services apps support the features of the TV app, including Amazon Prime.

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
Actually it is the other way around. Netflix has chosen to not support the features in the TV app. In my experience most streaming services apps support the features of the TV app, including Amazon Prime.

It’s annoying and I don’t see why Netflix doesn’t support this?

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
Only Netflix can really answer that, but I would guess they want to keep people in their app to view their content and control the entire experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.