Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I’m having a problem with iTunes movies that have Dolby Atmos soundtrack on.

I’m using the Apple TV app on a Sony smart TV, not a dedicated Apple TV machine.

The Soundbar supports eArc as does my TV, and Atmos, although it’s only virtual Atmos it should still decode. To confirm this the display on the Soundbar should say “Dolby Atmos” as confirmed by a friend who’s used Blu-Ray.

When playing an iTunes movie it shows “Dolby Surround DD” I’m not sure what this is to be honest.

So do iTunes movies that have Dolby Atmos output it via Apple TV app to a Soundbar?

Thanks

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Atmos is only available when using an ATV4K.

Ahhh ok didn’t know that, should have researched more maybe....can you point to this somewhere please?

Do you ever think it will come to the Apple TV app? All I’d need the aTV4K for is this, the app does everything I want, don’t use apps etc on it as my TV is fine.

Are all the smart TV apps like this? Just Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime video with Atmos I can’t get Soundbar to show Atmos either.

Thanks

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Ahhh ok didn’t know that, should have researched more maybe....can you point to this somewhere please?

Do you ever think it will come to the Apple TV app? All I’d need the aTV4K for is this, the app does everything I want, don’t use apps etc on it as my TV is fine.

Are all the smart TV apps like this? Just Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime video with Atmos I can’t get Soundbar to show Atmos either.

Thanks
You don’t just not have Atmos you also don’t have access to iTunes Extras either which includes directors/extended cuts of movies.
Whether they come to the app eventually is anyone’s guess, but personally I think it’s in their best interests to hold certain features back for their own hardware.

Edit:
Actually apparently Atmos is available on LG & Roku.

Last edited:

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
You don’t just not have Atmos you also don’t have access to iTunes Extras either which includes directors/extended cuts of movies.
I can get that if I use AirPlay from my iPhone, seems to work fine.

Edit:
Actually apparently Atmos is available on LG & Roku.
that’s interesting, wonder if works ok then, maybe Sony will catch up... eventually...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.