Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
The Apple TV app's "Up Next" section is prominently displayed at the top of the "Watch Now" page. This is a useful feature as it allows you to to create a queue or watchlist of movies and TV shows that you're interested in watching. You can add items to the list by tapping on the "+ ADD" button in the top-right corner of every movie and TV show page.

"See what's up next: In the Up Next row, find titles you recently added, rented, or purchased, catch the next episode in a series you've been watching, or resume what you're watching from the moment you left off."

I have kids who watch a lot of TV shows and with that comes an extensive watch history that is unfortunately also merged into the "Up Next" list. My wife and I often watch movies and TV shows that are not saved in our "Up Next" list and those are also added to the "Up Next" list. It's time consuming to go through and manually delete everyone's watch history in order to clean it up and keep just the content I'm interested in watching at a later date. Because of this, I'm left with a fairly useless watchlist.

Does anyone else agree that there should be a "Recently Watched" list that is separate from the "Up Next" list?

The Apple TV app should copy the Apple Music App. The Apple Music app has playlists. The Apple TV app should have a completely customizable user watchlist that isn't affected by watch history. The Apple Music app has a separate section that displays listening history. The Apple TV app should have a separate section for view history.

I would also like the be able to disable Apple TV automatically adding rented or purchased movies to "Up Next".

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
I just discovered that there is a "Recently Watched" section at the very bottom of the "Watch Now" page in the Apple TV app. Why doesn't Apple just move that section up and place it below the "Up Next" section? "Up Next" could be for just the content that users manually add using the "+ ADD" button and "Recently Watched" could be for just watch history.

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
When you tap on your account avatar and tap "Clear Play History", all watch history is removed from "Up Next" as well as "Recently Watched", leaving only the content that you've added using the "+ ADD" button. This helps a lot, but I still think the app stands to offer better and more organization. For example, I'd like to see Apple implement customized playlists.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
When you tap on your account avatar and tap "Clear Play History", all watch history is removed from "Up Next" as well as "Recently Watched", leaving only the content that you've added using the "+ ADD" button. This helps a lot, but I still think the app stands to offer better and more organization. For example, I'd like to see Apple implement customized playlists.

Suggest you say this to Apple FeedBack - Apple TV! Just get some others to suggest the same thing and it might be in the next version!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.