Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Synna

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2020
Dear Community,

I know, most of you are going to say that this isn't possible, but hear me out: My brand new Apple TV 4K somehow downloaded a third-party app by itself and it pretty much freaks me out. It's the streaming app of a local TV channel here in Germany (Joyn, f.k.a 7TV) and I have never used it before on any of my devices in the past. I am completely sure that I did not download it on my own, but suddenly, when I switched on my Apple TV today, there it was.

I have found some threads in other forums about this behaviour, sometimes regarding the same app, sometimes regarding comparable apps in other countries, but there never seemed to be a solution except for "You probably used it in the past" or "Someone else has access to your Apple ID". In my case, I'm completely sure that none of these two explanations are applicable.

Did this happen to anyone of you? Does anyone have an idea why this is happening? For a brief moment, I thought that the Apple TV might sync apps with the TV set it's connected to, but my LG Smart TV has loads of pre-installed third party apps and none of them was "automatically" appearing on my Apple TV, so that can't be the explanation.

I'm thankful for any tips and suggestions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.