Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

music.addict411

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
I recently bought an Apple TV to use in my living room. I love it, it works great. With the Macs and iPods it seems that Apple is delivering what everyone wants. But there is still one market that Apple has not really entered yet - Gaming. Although Apple does have it's computer games and mini-games for the iPod, we would like to see much more. Actually, this summer we will be seeing more with the iPod touch & iPhone - and that's where my idea comes in. Next month, high end portable games such as Super Monkey Ball and Enigmo will be released for the iPhone platform, and I'm sure it will be a huge success. All portable gamers (including me) are extremely excited. But what about all of the hardcore gamers with home console needs? How could Apple ever make them happy? Well I think I have the solution. With Apple TV's low price point, it could currently only support low end mini games. The iPhone can hold high end games. The iPhone makes a great gaming controller with it's touch controls and "motion sensing" technology. The one problem is that the screen is smaller than what hardcore gamer's need. The Apple TV supports large screens such as 30 or 40". If your iPhone could control the Apple TV, I think we have found a solution.

Here is some more of my thinking:

-Games are stored on either iPhone or Apple TV (Games being playable on iPhone may vary)
-If your game is stored on your iPhone, your Apple TV either streams or downloads the file onto it's hard drive.
-Now you can start playing your game.
-If we were playing Super Monkey Ball on the Apple TV, we would use the iPhone to steer the game (as expected).

Some problems with my idea might include:

1. High prices for controllers (iPod touch costs $300)
2. Shortage of memory on both iPhone and Apple TV
3. High price of buying both Apple TV + iPhone

I have a way to solve each:

1. Third party controllers. Simple as that. (Also the Apple remote could do justice)
2. Maybe this idea would have to wait until flash memory becomes more affordable.
3. SPECIAL OFFER!! Buy and iPod touch and get an Apple TV for just $120!!

There may be a few problems that need working out with my proposal, but I think it's safe to say that we would all buy a worked out version of this.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'm a hardcore gamer and I can't wait to get my hands on an iPhone...

This won't work really. The AppleTV will need a much more capable video card which would throw the price up. They don't need to get into the living room, one of the reasons for Microsoft getting into the games console market was to break into the living room. Apple is already there.

It isn't going to happen. We are going to see a load of games for the iPhone/iPod Touch though.

Also (only just remembered) you'll be playing games over WiFi which is terrible when it comes to latency. I've had 802.11g game controllers and they were unusable.

dbwie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2007
Albuquerque, NM, USA
why...

Where is the need for yet another gaming platform? The iPhone and iPod Touch are already great mobile platforms for games, even though they were originally designed for another purpose. The AppleTV was also designed for another purpose (bringing media from your computer and the internet to your living room), and is not well designed to be a gaming console.

Elven

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
UK
Given the relative cost of buying a PS3, or building a gaming computer it seems folly to spend twice as much on buying an Apple tv and iTouch.

godslabrat

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2007
Comparing the hypotheical gaming capabilites of an AppleTV with the real gaming capabilties of a PS3/360/Wii is akin to comparing a golf cart with an F1 racer. Sure, the golf cart is a lot more practical, and is more affordable, but it's not going to beat the F1 in a race.

I don't see anything good coming out of this, if Apple does make a set-top gaming box. It would be best for everyone if this is just a rumor.

Heck, if Apple wanted to be involved in gaming, they could have made OSX more attractive to developers years ago, and probably for half the cost of making an AppleTVGameStation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.