Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UKenGB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2010
Surrey, UK
How?

I want to make use of Scenes and/or Automations that include turning the Apple TV On or Off, i.e. waking it or sleeping it. However, I just don't see how I can do that.

I can make a Shortcut that does all that I need but only I can use it and not from the Apple TV itself. I can speak the command, but not trigger it from a button of any sort. So anyone else would have to set up their own Shortcuts which defeats the object of centralised Home Automation.

Any Automation or Scene I create does NOT offer the Apple TV as a trigger or target accessory. Simply not listed, even though I have 2 Apple TVs actually set up for Home Hub use (one connected and one on Standby). But it seems despite being such an integral part of the HomeKit Home Hub framework, they cannot actually be controlled within that Home. Since they obviously have the capability to be controlled in this way (as evidenced by their Shortcut commands) I fail to see why they have been excluded from Scenes and Automations.

Or is there a way to do this and in which case, how?

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
tv isn’t a HomeKit device in the traditional sense. You can’t use it in scenes. I don’t know why it’s like this. I used to be very frustrated by it too, but not anymore because my shortcuts are better. Normally I don’t have my HomeKit TV in the Good Morning scene. I only added it for demonstration purposes.

For some unknown reason turning my Vizio on doesn’t trigger the tv to come on. So that’s why I use the the shortcut to open Computers because it triggers the tv to come on and CEC triggers my Vizio to turn on. This is perfect for me because it’s the first app I use everyday. At night turning off the Vizio can remain in the Good Night scene because for another unknown reason turning off Vizio will trigger the CEC to turn off the tv.

f1489f0bb876765abc1cfe33631d6ced.png

ebdc8763344f052587a5b7b82a680c6b.png

Five_Oh

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2017
Flyover Country, USA
I can make a Shortcut that does all that I need but only I can use it and not from the Apple TV itself. I can speak the command, but not trigger it from a button of any sort. So anyone else would have to set up their own Shortcuts which defeats the object of centralised Home Automation.

Any Automation or Scene I create does NOT offer the Apple TV as a trigger or target accessory. Simply not listed, even though I have 2 Apple TVs actually set up for Home Hub use (one connected and one on Standby). But it seems despite being such an integral part of the HomeKit Home Hub framework, they cannot actually be controlled within that Home. Since they obviously have the capability to be controlled in this way (as evidenced by their Shortcut commands) I fail to see why they have been excluded from Scenes and Automations.

Or is there a way to do this and in which case, how?
I agree with you. Shortcuts is a good workaround for a single person home, or people that want all their own scenes. My house is not interested in figuring everything out. They just want it simple, and to "work" reliably.

So, I have not found a good solution. But I will be interested in hearing what others do.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
homebridge,
it's a program that acts as a translator, and allows non-homekit things to speak homekit
there are plugins that will control a ton of things, including thermostats, smart TVs, and cameras. (no secure video storage though)

there is a plugin for the appleTV, it make 2 switches, power and playing, and both work both ways (changing the aTV will turn on the switch, and changing the switch will turn on the aTV). BUT since tvOS 14 it's been a little hit or miss.

a couple things.
--It needs a computer running all the time, it will run on windows, Mac, or linux. There are also pre-made images for Raspberry pi, but if planning on doing cameras, make sure you research before choosing which model pi.
--You need a little bit of geek-fu to make it work, it's not too bad, there is a limited web config now, but mostly everything is done in a json text file and run on the command line.

UKenGB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2010
Surrey, UK
I'm running Homebridge to control other non HomeKit devices (e.g. Yamaha AVRs, Nest stuff) and it's truly great. Also there are several Apple TV plug-ins that provide Sleep/Wake control, but as pointed out, they are currently all very flaky. One in particular simply won't install, another screws up the install and generally it's not very satisfying, whereas the Yamaha and Nest plug-ins installed, ran and control what they are supposed to without issue. It's just the Apple TV that's the problem.

It is particularly bizarre that Apple have decided to not make the Apple TV HomeKit compatible when it IS the HomeKit Hub and it CAN be controlled remotely (by Shortcuts). So why exclude it from HomeKit. Doesn't make any sense. Sometimes one has to wonder just who Apple use to develop these systems. Apparently young kids not yet old enough to own their own home and hence no experience of what is actually required.

The problem with Shortcuts is they are limited to use by the creator, unless specifically shared and I've no idea how that works over time. If the creator then edits the Shortcut, do the sharers also get the updated version? Does it have to be re-shared etc. All these questions are simply not answered by Apple. Their documentation and guides/manuals are thin on the ground and mostly useless when they have bothered to put something together, majoring on the basic trivial stuff while lacking any actual advanced usage information. But I digress.

CEC is problematic and uncontrollable. You just switch it on and hope it works as you want it to - which it rarely does, especially if between products of different manufacturers. A great idea, but flawed in the myriad of its implementations. I have my Apple TV turn the TV on and off in sync. That works well, but last time I tried to include the AVR it was totally screwed up. Somehow the TV would be told to not use the incoming audio signal from the amp, or was it the amp that stopped sending it? I forget now, but when all linked, I was unable to get it to work in any way that made sense. Annoying, but well known in the AV community as being too flaky to even bother with.

At the moment I have shortcuts to turn everything on and off. It works, but I want Home based control, not personal. A Home can be shared and that keeps it in sync between all who share it, but Shortcuts don't seem to be like that and don't appear in the Home app anyway.

Quite frankly it's a mess and after all the years since Apple introduced Homekit, they really should have got it right. Oh I forgot, too busy designing new animojis.

PauliusOr

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2022
Hi, any news on this question? My situation is as follows: I need the HomeKit socket to be switched off when the Apple TV is switched off / is in sleep mode, and vice versa for the HomeKit socket to be switched on when the Apple TV is switched on.

UKenGB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2010
Surrey, UK
Hi, any news on this question? My situation is as follows: I need the HomeKit socket to be switched off when the Apple TV is switched off / is in sleep mode, and vice versa for the HomeKit socket to be switched on when the Apple TV is switched on.
No change that I am aware of. Apple seem to have some hang-up about controlling the Apple TV with HomeKit, yet think it's ok by Shortcuts. Still utterly baffling to me.

I am using HomeBridge and that has a number of Apple TV control add-ons and the one I use seems to work, but the authors of all have to admit that what they do is a kludge as Apple provide no API to do this.

I am now putting a lot of effort into setting up Home Assistant to control everything. Not that it'll immediately solve the Apple TV problem, but I've given up with HomeKit. Still an appallingly inadequate mess. No wonder Apple have captured such a small fraction of the Home Automation market, while Amazon and Google share almost all of it.

It's particularly frustrating as I would prefer to be able to do it all with Apple products, but I see no commitment from Apple into making HomeKit truly worthwhile. Seems it's just a tickbox item to be able to say "Hey look what we can do" and then have to hope no-one actually tries it as it is very unlikely to work.

So no, the short answer is Apple have still done nothing to bring the AppleTV into HomeKit automation.

Reactions: PauliusOr

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
The easiest way to control tv via HomeKit is to have an Apple Home TV. So when the TV turns off that triggers the tv to go to sleep and you could tie that to the smart plug. I get that’s not ideal. But it’s the solution for me. All my TVs are Vizios. And they all allow for turning on and off via Scenes/Shortcuts. I have mine attached to my personal automations so sleep/awake happens via Sleep Focus.

And I just realized this is a very old thread that I’ve already replied to. My bad.

UKenGB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2010
Surrey, UK
Started some time ago, agreed, but someone just asked a question so only polite to reply. :)

Your solution however is just another 'work-around' that is required only because Apple will not allow basic control of the AppleTV by HomeKit. This is utterly bizarre and makes me think Apple have no real idea what they're doing with regard to Home Automation.

Reactions: JBaby

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
Started some time ago, agreed, but someone just asked a question so only polite to reply. :)

Your solution however is just another 'work-around' that is required only because Apple will not allow basic control of the AppleTV by HomeKit. This is utterly bizarre and makes me think Apple have no real idea what they're doing with regard to Home Automation.

I agree. However, in my defense when I got the first Vizio I had no idea it even was a HomeKit TV. So I didn’t buy it for that reason. But it is the reason I bought it the other two. Plus I’ve been really happy with these TVs. They’ve lasted far longer than the TCL I once had.

bassjunky

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Texas
I am using HomeBridge and that has a number of Apple TV control add-ons and the one I use seems to work, but the authors of all have to admit that what they do is a kludge as Apple provide no API to do this.

I am now putting a lot of effort into setting up Home Assistant to control everything. Not that it'll immediately solve the Apple TV problem, but I've given up with HomeKit. Still an appallingly inadequate mess. No wonder Apple have captured such a small fraction of the Home Automation market, while Amazon and Google share almost all of it.
Just curious, what are you running Homebridge on? I've been running it a couple of years on an aging 2011 iMac, but I am seeing its limitations now (HB can't update because the iMac won't support the latest node.js). I've been thinking about running it on a RPi, just need to get one and mess around.

I've had pretty good results with HB, though it does require some tinkering, and some piugins I just can't get to work (possibly due to my older build).

Old thread, but thanks.

UKenGB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2010
Surrey, UK
I've been running HomeBridge on a Mini Server 5,3 (Mid 2011) with High Sierra. I've not had a HB updating problem, but not taken too much notice recently as I'll be moving to Home Assistant.

HB has been incredibly useful, but not without issues. Quite often scenes in HomeKit fail to operate correctly, so e.g. lights running from Sonoff switches (in HB) may not 'switch', but in the same scene, others will switch. I've no idea where the problem is, whether entirely HomeKit, entirely HB or a comms problem between them. The latter seems most likely as Home.app will almost always show some HB devices as being 'offline' (or whatever the error wording is). Sometimes it just takes time to 'reconnect' but other times connection just never seems to re-establish. Check the next day and that device is fine, but others are suffering.

Overall it's flaky and my guess is it's HomeKit which even after so many years still seems half-baked and even Siri is woefully inadequate compared to the competition. There's a reason why Amazon and Google have been able to carve up the Home Automation market between them, leaving HomeKit with such a minute percentage. HK stands for Hopeless Kit.

erihp

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
I've been running HomeBridge on a Mini Server 5,3 (Mid 2011) with High Sierra. I've not had a HB updating problem, but not taken too much notice recently as I'll be moving to Home Assistant.

HB has been incredibly useful, but not without issues. Quite often scenes in HomeKit fail to operate correctly, so e.g. lights running from Sonoff switches (in HB) may not 'switch', but in the same scene, others will switch. I've no idea where the problem is, whether entirely HomeKit, entirely HB or a comms problem between them. The latter seems most likely as Home.app will almost always show some HB devices as being 'offline' (or whatever the error wording is). Sometimes it just takes time to 'reconnect' but other times connection just never seems to re-establish. Check the next day and that device is fine, but others are suffering.

Overall it's flaky and my guess is it's HomeKit which even after so many years still seems half-baked and even Siri is woefully inadequate compared to the competition. There's a reason why Amazon and Google have been able to carve up the Home Automation market between them, leaving HomeKit with such a minute percentage. HK stands for Hopeless Kit.
my hb setup works great, very reliable. last i checked it was 276+ days of uptime. i highly recommend a dedicated pc for hb. i run mine on an old chromebox running linux

UKenGB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2010
Surrey, UK
my hb setup works great, very reliable. last i checked it was 276+ days of uptime. i highly recommend a dedicated pc for hb. i run mine on an old chromebox running linux
If I was continuing to use HB I probably would do something similar, although to be honest, the Mini doesn't do much else. My new Home Assistant setup will be running on a new dedicated Orange Pi. Just need to finish reconfiguring my rack.

I was wanting something that was not proprietary and more universal with regard to actual devices and also would be capable of running the whole house setup, heating, solar panels and battery etc. Not a hope in hell HomeKit will ever be able to do all that, but Home Assistant can and I think is my best option. Only problem is I hate YAML, but mostly now there's little need for direct writing YAML code.

Not sure what can be done with an AppleTV in such a setup, but I guess I'll find out. :)

erihp

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
If I was continuing to use HB I probably would do something similar, although to be honest, the Mini doesn't do much else. My new Home Assistant setup will be running on a new dedicated Orange Pi. Just need to finish reconfiguring my rack.

I was wanting something that was not proprietary and more universal with regard to actual devices and also would be capable of running the whole house setup, heating, solar panels and battery etc. Not a hope in hell HomeKit will ever be able to do all that, but Home Assistant can and I think is my best option. Only problem is I hate YAML, but mostly now there's little need for direct writing YAML code.

Not sure what can be done with an AppleTV in such a setup, but I guess I'll find out. :)

The ATV is great for being an HK hub and also for checking camera feeds on a large screen.

Last edited:

UKenGB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2010
Surrey, UK
The ATV is great for being an HK hub and also for checking camera feeds and recordings on a large screen.
Indeed. I will no doubt still make use of HK for stuff like that, but with overall home systems/automation control handled by Home Assistant.

BillGates1969

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2008
Poole, UK
The ATV is great for being an HK hub and also for checking camera feeds and recordings on a large screen.
How do you view HK recordings on the ATV? I can see the feeds but not the recordings.

+1 for Home Assistant btw. Been using it for over 5 years now!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.