Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jay Shook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2022
Hey all. Was wondering if there’s a way to set a scene in HomeKit and have my Apple TV continue watching a show? I made a scene for my wife’s bedtime so the overhead light turns off, desk lamp dims to 5% but I don’t see a way to also trigger Apple TV to open Netflix and continue watching her show. Any input would be appreciated.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
I don't think you have much control over the Apple TV within the Home app - But have you considered maybe building a shortcut on her iPhone instead? You can invoke HomeKit scenes, wake an Apple TV, and there's an "Open App on Apple TV" option you can add to your build as well which should display a list and let you choose Netflix. One tap on a button (or a Siri command) and she should be in business.

Reactions: Jay Shook

Jay Shook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2022
I don't think you have much control over the Apple TV within the Home app - But have you considered maybe building a shortcut on her iPhone instead? You can invoke HomeKit scenes, wake an Apple TV, and there's an "Open App on Apple TV" option you can add to your build as well which should display a list and let you choose Netflix. One tap on a button (or a Siri command) and she should be in business.
I have messed with shortcuts but about all i can get it to do is activate my light scene, open Netflix and open the remote app on the phone which is actually not too bad but the first Netflix screen is choosing a profile which shortcuts won’t do and i can’t choose a show to watch. I suppose I’m asking too much lol. Hopefully in the future the feature can be added or I’ll just be happy with what I have.

Attachments

• 55025B0B-5B62-4A22-8D15-B2C305E51288.png
    55025B0B-5B62-4A22-8D15-B2C305E51288.png
    251.9 KB · Views: 109
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.