Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CloneWarsViewer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2018
I'm having a problem playing TV shows and movies on my Apple TV (Apple TV 4) from the iTunes library on my iMac using Home Sharing. iTunes is version 12.7.3.46. When the issue started last night, tvOS was 11.2 I believe, but it's been updated to 11.2.5 in an attempt to resolve the issue. macOS is 10.13.3.

When I try to play a TV show or movie purchased through iTunes on my Apple TV from iTunes via Home Sharing, I get the message "This content can't be played on this Apple TV". However, I have previously played numerous TV shows and movies purchased through iTunes on my Apple TV this way. In fact, I initially encountered the issue attempting to resume an episode I had watched part of the night before using this configuration. The issue even happens for movies or episodes that I had previously been able to watch on the Apple TV. On the other hand, I am still able to play music purchased through iTunes from my iTunes library on the Apple TV via Home Sharing.

So far, I have tried:
  • Logging out of AppleID / iCloud / iTunes account on both the Apple TV and iMac
  • Turning off Home Sharing and turning it back on
  • Updating tvOS to latest version
  • Restarting iTunes, Apple TV, and iMac
  • Resetting the Apple TV
Searching the Internet, several sources reported that turning off the Quick Start setting under the Apps > Settings > iTunes Movies and TV Shows app on the Apple TV would resolve the issue, however that setting was already off on my Apple TV and turning it on and off doesn't seem to make a difference in resolving the issue.

On the other hand, trying to watch an episode by streaming over the Internet through the iTunes TV Shows app on the Apple TV seems to start buffering the episode. But, streaming over the Internet is not viable for me due to low bandwidth infrastructure in this area. I am also able to play TV shows and movies purchased through iTunes in the iTunes app on the iMac.

I'm really stumped as to what caused the issue as I hadn't changed anything in the configuration from when I paused the episode the night before and from when I tried to resume watching it the next day. Was there any sort of automatic / forced update to the Apple TV recently that might have caused this? Could it be symptoms of hardware failure for the Apple TV or HDMI cable?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.