Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noTe on iPhone

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
At my work, I keep getting a "Apple TV Keyboard" pop up notification saying "Password AutoFill - Press to choose a saved password to share to a nearby Apple TV."

We have zero Apple TVs on our work network. (I work for a very small company of less than 10 employees) I have a co-worker who also gets these random pop ups but not at the same time I am. I work on the bottom floor of a 6 story building, do Apple TVs have the ability to ping any iPhone around regardless if you are not on the same network?

This is driving me nuts and no I do not want to turn off notifications for Apple TV because I have a Apple TV at home that I use.

Thanks!

Phone info:
iOS 13.3.1
iPhone 11 Pro

Last edited:

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
I guess that's a possible culprit, but I cannot explain why. Can you go up for a friendly visit and test?

noTe on iPhone

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
I guess that's a possible culprit, but I cannot explain why. Can you go up for a friendly visit and test?

I could but there is an option for Apple TVs to only broadcast that to people on the same network instead of anyone in proximity? I could recommend that to them maybe?

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
You need to ask them to change their settings in their ATVs:

Settings > AirPlay and HomeKit > Allow Access

There are several setting here that could be the issue for you. I suspect you need them to turn ‘Also Allow Nearby to AirPlay’ off as IIRC this allows peer-to-peer comms without needing to be on the same network.

Reactions: barbu

noTe on iPhone

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
You need to ask them to change their settings in their ATVs:

Settings > AirPlay and HomeKit > Allow Access

There are several setting here that could be the issue for you. I suspect you need them to turn ‘Also Allow Nearby to AirPlay’ off as IIRC this allows peer-to-peer comms without needing to be on the same network.

Thanks! I printed off some Apple help pages, walked up stairs and handed it to them. I told them "you probably don't want me to start playing rick roll videos on your apple tvs" they laughed and thanked me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.