Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tattoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
Miami, Florida
I have done some searching on this site regarding ripping DVD Movies on the Mac for streaming on Apple TV.

My concept is similar to being paperless only disc-less:)

So here is my work flow:
Pop in a DVD Movie (Spiderman 3)
Use Mac the Ripper (Creates a folder on my Desktop)
Use MPEG Streamclip to open that file and then use the "Standard" settings to convert to a Apple TV 720p HD file.
I then open that file inside iTunes and BAM - All Done.

Overall I'm happy with the results but I did notice some "artifacts" during very fast action. Is there a "better" setting than the standard one I'm using?

Thanks.

Tattoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
Miami, Florida
Why are you making a 720p file when the source is SD? Also, why did you choose MPEGStreamclip over Handbrake?

P-Worm

Well thats the Standard setting for Apple TV. It says Apple TV 720P HD.
I never used Handbrake - I thought MPEG Streamclip was the program to use?:confused:

DeuceDeuce

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2007
San Dimas, CA
You're just wasting disk space if you're converting an SD DVD to 720 HD. Plus, you don't get Dolby Digital 5.1 with MPSC. Handbrake is the way to go for Apple TV transcodes.

I see some people rip the DVD with MTR then use handbrake. Is there a reason for this? I just rip the DVD using Handbrake from the get go. Everything seems fine, should I be doing it different?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.