Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

allan

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2004
I got one of my most recent purchases to download to .m4v with the following tweak to TV Preferences (mentioned earlier by someone) - check "Download Multichannel Audio" along with selecting "Most Compatible HD (1080p)":

View attachment 2246869

First attempt (with original settings) would only download the HLS file. Once the Preferences changes were done, the download progress window changed to displaying MB/GB downloaded (as opposed to just a percentage):

View attachment 2246870

Final download appeared as such in Finder:

View attachment 2246871

This was purchased about a week or so ago - definitely falling into the HLS new purchase realm...

Now as far as SD versions of HD purchases (to save device space) goes - we've been SOL on that one since the day TV was unveiled. Only method I know of for this still holds, i.e. run an old version of iTunes and download through your Purchases page.

Or if on iOS, assuming the movie still is for sale (and still recognizes your purchase of said title), you can download the SD version through the movie's listing page.

Those are old titles though, movies that were released years ago. Try a newer title, like a movie that was released in the last year or two (examples: Top Gun Maverick, Avatar: The Way of Water, etc). I purchased these and cannot download a file that can be streamed locally from my Mac to my Apple TV.

davidpipgras

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2021
Hi everyone! I am just jumping into this conversation as I recently added a movie to AppleTV and tried downloading it to my media drive, only to discover the "MOVPKG" format that is totally useless. If I don't move it from the library folder, it seems to work, but not anywhere else. Like most of you, I have a larger collection of purchased movies that I keep on a separate drive for space/organization purposes. I am on an iMac 3Ghz with Sonoma 14.2.1.

Has anyone gotten anywhere with avoiding these files, converting them, or anything else? I am not sure what Apple's intention is here, but it definitely ensures I will NOT purchase/add anything to AppleTV in the future.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Hi everyone! I am just jumping into this conversation as I recently added a movie to AppleTV and tried downloading it to my media drive, only to discover the "MOVPKG" format that is totally useless. If I don't move it from the library folder, it seems to work, but not anywhere else. Like most of you, I have a larger collection of purchased movies that I keep on a separate drive for space/organization purposes. I am on an iMac 3Ghz with Sonoma 14.2.1.

Has anyone gotten anywhere with avoiding these files, converting them, or anything else? I am not sure what Apple's intention is here, but it definitely ensures I will NOT purchase/add anything to AppleTV in the future.

Feb 4th 2024 - still broken. And I can't even use iTunes for Windows, like I did in the past, because that produces error 8266 on trying to download. This was for Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom. The support guy said Apple is aware, but doesn't know if there will be a fix or when.

Apple demands you keep your entire life on the cloud - THEIR cloud. This is such a troubling trend.

Blackbird77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
St. Louis, MO
Feb 4th 2024 - still broken. And I can't even use iTunes for Windows, like I did in the past, because that produces error 8266 on trying to download. This was for Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom. The support guy said Apple is aware, but doesn't know if there will be a fix or when.

Apple demands you keep your entire life on the cloud - THEIR cloud. This is such a troubling trend.
Being unable to download with iTunes for Windows is very troubling since I still have to do that for many of my movie purchases. Are you using the latest version of iTunes for Windows. I don't know which version I am using (I'm on my MacBook now and don't have time to check iTunes for Windows on my HP - I'll do that soon and report back), but it isn't the most recent version. Can you download and use an older version?

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Being unable to download with iTunes for Windows is very troubling since I still have to do that for many of my movie purchases. Are you using the latest version of iTunes for Windows. I don't know which version I am using (I'm on my MacBook now and don't have time to check iTunes for Windows on my HP - I'll do that soon and report back), but it isn't the most recent version. Can you download and use an older version?

It depends on how old. I was using an older Windows version that still allowed removal of DRM. But they stopped working with the store (as did the Retroactive version for the Mac on Intel Mac). Since I don't use Android anymore and don't have to rip DRM from iTunes, I upgraded to the newest Windows iTunes and thus, the failure.

When I get a chance, I will test an older version on a VM.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010

Using 12.11.10.2 for Windiws (from 2020), same result. Not looking good.

I might power up my old 2017 iMac that can still run Mac iTunes, and see if that works. I'm guessing not, but worth a try.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
iTunes for Windows fixed the MP4 download problem. At least for me. It now downloads MP4s OK now.

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
Being the brilliant person that I am, I downloaded the new TV and Music apps and just found out about the new format issue when downloading for backup.

Changing the options as mentioned earlier in the thread gave me the old M4V file (thankfully). Not sure if I should uninstall TV and Music apps and reinstall iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.