Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moparherb

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2018
Fulton, NY
Recently I changed TV providers to the company in my area that also supplies my Internet service, Spectrum. They offer and I got what is called a Xumo box. No cable needed, just Internet connection. Very satisfied. One of the apps on the Xumo box is Apple TV+. I selected it filled in some info and now I can use that app whenever I want. My question, is there any need for me to keep the Apple TV+ box that I used with my previous TV provider?? With the Xumo box I no longer turn on the physical Apple TV box. Thanks for any answers.

erihp

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
Recently I changed TV providers to the company in my area that also supplies my Internet service, Spectrum. They offer and I got what is called a Xumo box. No cable needed, just Internet connection. Very satisfied. One of the apps on the Xumo box is Apple TV+. I selected it filled in some info and now I can use that app whenever I want. My question, is there any need for me to keep the Apple TV+ box that I used with my previous TV provider?? With the Xumo box I no longer turn on the physical Apple TV box. Thanks for any answers.

It's personal preference, I dont trust the providers (nor xumo) to not observe and anaylze my watching habits, track, spy, serve me ads, 'monetize the platform' and/or sell my usage data to third parties.

If you like the other features and streaming support of the xumo, and are ok with any data/privacy agreement they demand, go for it! Whatever works best for you.

I dont know enough for the capabilities of the xumo box but the Apple TV allows airplay 2 mirroring and streaming support, acts as a homekit hub, and has a wide array of supported apps.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Do you run any other apps on the AppleTV box not available on Xumo? AppleTV+ the app is but one of many thousands of apps that run on AppleTV. Many cable TV boxes do not have a wide selection of apps... though AppleTV+ is generally one of them.

If you only use major streaming apps, Xumo will probably cover that... as might the same apps probably available on your TV... or a Roku box... or a Firestick... etc. However, as soon as you need as little as one app available on the AppleTV hardware and/or any kind of walled-garden benefit which will only work on AppleTv hardware, you need the box (or another box depending on that app(s)).

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
With the Xumo box I no longer turn on the physical Apple TV box. Thanks for any answers.

Seems like you answered you own question. If you don't turn it on and you don't miss it, I guess you don't need it.

But you're confusing two different things; the black plastic box is just called an "Apple TV". AppleTV+ is a service that Apple offers which includes their own TV shows, you have to subscribe to that. I don't subscribe to it myself, but I use my AppleTV (box) for everything - streaming apps as well as accessing my own library of purchased media and over 1000 DVD's that I have ripped.

You may have received a free subscription to AppleTV+ as part of some kind of promotion from your internet company, I think that's pretty common. It can be accessed directly through other devices like streaming boxes and smart TV's. You might want to look at the fine print, because it could be a limited time promotion and you could get charged for it when the promotional period ends.

Reactions: BotchQue
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.