Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baxterboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2023
Hi

I use my older apple tv every night to watch movies from a free streaming site (yes, I'm cheap - can't help it - I'm Scottish).
Quite often now, the movie won't load with the message:
An error occurred loading this content.
Try again later.

Any fix? (other than paying for streams ;) )

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
Perhaps the reliability of the pirate free streams you seem to be using is less than that of the service offering of a paid provider?

Sounds like you are entitled to a full refund.

Reactions: baxterboy

baxterboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2023
Which service? Are they geo-locked? IPTV?I have been using
Not sure about MacRumors policy on naming sites. I will delete them if contrary to policy.
I've been using a streaming site for a number of years to watch movies on my laptop. It has been excellent.
For the last 10 months I have been using the Apple tv to watch the movies on the tv rather than the computer.
Lately, though, many of the movies are unable to load on the tv using the apple tv.
I also stream football from Scotland regularly - same issue with the apple tv.
I can mirror the streams ok with the apple tv but the quality is lower and occasional buffering.

Not geo-locked and not IPTV

Last edited:

baxterboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2023
Perhaps the reliability of the pirate free streams you seem to be using is less than that of the service offering of a paid provider?

Sounds like you are entitled to a full refund.
Yes, I'm glad you mentioned it - I was considering a GoFundMe fundraiser to retain a lawyer to obtain my right to a refund!
Thank you for the support. It certainly helped in making the decision to proceed!

I am also considering another GoFundMe to sue the company that produced The Adventures of Long John Silver for their conditioning of my young mind to the righteousness of piracy. Class action suit perhaps.
Any chance of you being the first to contribute?
:)

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Not sure about MacRumors policy on naming sites.

Moderator note: I believe this would fall under forum rule number 8

"Do not post software serial numbers or keys or refer people to specific websites, software, or techniques whose purpose is to break or bypass software licensing methods, distribute cracks, or obtain or use commercial software or media in violation of its license and/or for copyright violation. Do not ask for or give such help."

Not sure what sites you want to use, but if they feature content that would violate copyrights or licensing agreements, then you're skating very close to the line by asking for help in accessing such a site.

Aside from that, as a general comment, Apple stopped supporting the Apple TV 3 pretty recently. We've had several threads here about things that are now breaking on it. One that I recall said they could no longer sign into iCloud on their ATV3 and Apple confirmed they have dropped support when they were contacted.

baxterboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2023
Moderator note: I believe this would fall under forum rule number 8

"Do not post software serial numbers or keys or refer people to specific websites, software, or techniques whose purpose is to break or bypass software licensing methods, distribute cracks, or obtain or use commercial software or media in violation of its license and/or for copyright violation. Do not ask for or give such help."

Not sure what sites you want to use, but if they feature content that would violate copyrights or licensing agreements, then you're skating very close to the line by asking for help in accessing such a site.

Aside from that, as a general comment, Apple stopped supporting the Apple TV 3 pretty recently. We've had several threads here about things that are now breaking on it. One that I recall said they could no longer sign into iCloud on their ATV3 and Apple confirmed they have dropped support when they were contacted.
Post was edited to conform to MacRumors policy.
I'll try and find the threads you refer to relative to Apple's support of TV3.

Perhaps the loading issue relates to my ancient 2013 Mac air and using High Sierra eg. lately, Youtube videos don't even load on Safari yet do so on Chrome.

On a side note, is it possible to have an Apple TV airplay option for streaming when using the Chrome browser?

Reactions: Boyd01

iamasmith

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2015
Cheshire, UK
I've had this happen from time to time with movies purchased from Apple and try 24 hour later and it will work. I suspect there's a popularity thing and a use of some hierarchical storage that takes a while to ressurect the streams from some movies. (i.e. something like AWS Glacier Storage)

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I'll try and find the threads you refer to relative to Apple's support of TV3.

See these (there may be more)

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-tv-3rd-gen-issues.2395898/?post=32417404#post-32417404

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-content.2376837/?post=31873714#post-31873714

Especially this thread re: iCloud, on the second page a bunch of people confirm they lost access about a year ago. May not be related to your issue however

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-3rd-gen.2372480/?post=31780030#post-31780030

Last edited:

baxterboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2023

baxterboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2023
Still puzzled. How are you streaming? On the TV itself nothing happens until you run an app. So are you running an app to do the streaming or are you using airplay?

My tv didn't have an app that could talk to my laptop.
When I bought the Apple tv, my laptop could talk to the tv.

Whenever I went on a streaming site (not associated with Apple tv) and clicked on a movie, the movie would appear on the laptop. At the bottom of the movie screen, there's the airplay icon. When the airplay icon is clicked, there's an option for apple tv which, when I clicked, loads the movie in hd on the tv.

There was also the option of mirroring with airplay but poor quality and buffering.

But lately, as said, many of the movies previously watched and other movies would not load and could only be watched via mirroring.

My wife just said she had the solution.
I smiled and, believing her suggestion was quite ridiculous, said, "Sure, honey give it a shot," and went to the kitchen.
When I returned, she had solved the problem.

I'll see if anyone comes up with the ridiculous solution and if not, I'll put it in the thread shortly.

Last edited:

MapleBeercules

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2023
this might help you

Your implying I am stealing and not returning. I'm borrowing the movie and have every intention of returning it at some point in time :p.

Its borrowing with very little intent of returning, but its still borrowing and not stealing :p

baxterboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2023
Ha I was just trying to realign your moral compass 😂

Shiver me timbers!!!

So, if I understand correctly, you are trying to realign my moral compass which has impacted the astronomical profits of a film industry which, for 130 years, as its unions have pointed out - subjected its employees to excessive working hours, unlivable wages for the lowest paid crafts and failure to provide reasonable rest, including meal breaks and time off between marathon working days and weekend work...

Oh no!... looks like the Sheriff is on his way ... thankfully, some upside down compasses lead directly to Nottingham Forests.

;)

Reactions: MBAir2010

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
Shiver me timbers!!!

So, if I understand correctly, you are trying to realign my moral compass which has impacted the astronomical profits of a film industry which, for 130 years, as its unions have pointed out - subjected its employees to excessive working hours, unlivable wages for the lowest paid crafts and failure to provide reasonable rest, including meal breaks and time off between marathon working days and weekend work...

Oh no!... looks like the Sheriff is on his way ... thankfully, some upside down compasses lead directly to Nottingham Forests.

;)

I was thinking more so of the physical home entertainment industry with the casualties being indie film studios, countless retailers and the thousands of people who have lost their jobs.

baxterboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2023
I was thinking more so of the physical home entertainment industry with the casualties being indie film studios, countless retailers and the thousands of people who have lost their jobs.
And, entropfl, how do these thousands compare to the billions of us who have had their privacy stolen and ultimately, one day, who they are to the immoral compasses of corporations?
So many mountainous targets to chose from who are in dire need of realignment of their moral compass and one chooses to target wee moles in the forest.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
went on a streaming site (not associated with Apple tv) and clicked on a movie, the movie would appear on the laptop. At the bottom of the movie screen, there's the airplay icon. When the airplay icon is clicked, there's an option for apple tv which, when I clicked, loads the movie in hd on the tv.

There was also the option of mirroring with airplay but poor quality and buffering.

? There is no option that I have heard of to load or download a movie on the Apple TV from a remote device. Sounds to me as if you are using airplay. If it still plays after you turn off the streaming device then I would stand corrected.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there

;)
weren't they in the premier league recently?
they now have spare time on their hands.....

anyways I had the same problem with my tv gen 3 and finally mailed that back to them 2 weeks ago
my snafu is some videos in my collection (mp4( won't airplay to my tv gen 4 or 5, 2022 one.
and get the same error massage as yours.
what i do i convent those again using handbrake.

cheers!

baxterboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2023
? There is no option that I have heard of to load or download a movie on the Apple TV from a remote device. Sounds to me as if you are using airplay. If it still plays after you turn off the streaming device then I would stand corrected.
HD, I mentioned on one of the previous posts that I'm using an older tv which cannot talk to the laptop. So I use airplay via the Apple TV to link the tv with the laptop.
As also mentioned, the problem was solved by my wife - but it makes me look so bad after laughing at her suggestion I'm reluctant to post it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.