Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reykjavik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2004
I read somewhere that youre TV has to be at least EDTV in order to use Apple TV. All I have is a basic 23 inch toshiba flat screen (not lcd/plasma just a tube but flat screen) which is about 4 years old. Does this mean I can't use the Apple TV? If so, why would Apple close themselves off to about 90% of all TV watchers?

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
What resolution is your T.V.? That's the best way to find out. You can then check it out here: Linkety

I suppose the best thing to do would be to hold off and wait until the product is shipped. Then see what it does. Then you can decide if it will work with your T.V. or not.

I'm going to guess that the 90% was pulled out of some place we'd rather not mention in polite conversation, eh?

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I think the split is more 20% HDTV 80% SDTV...think that from Nintedo(on why the Wii doesn't support HD) not sure how true that is, but basicly Apple cut themselves off from a lot of the market...and for what iTunes doesn't sell HD movies yet.

reykjavik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2004
What resolution is your T.V.? That's the best way to find out. You can then check it out here: Linkety

I suppose the best thing to do would be to hold off and wait until the product is shipped. Then see what it does. Then you can decide if it will work with your T.V. or not.

I'm going to guess that the 90% was pulled out of some place we'd rather not mention in polite conversation, eh?

Yes it was. However, I would still bet a vast majority (easily 60-90%) of TV watchers do not have high definition anything. Its especially strange because why limit yourself to some small percentage (i.e. its not fully 1080p and its not regular TV so essentially Apples marketing this product to a slim minority of watchers) when you could so easily put a setting that would allow viewing on any tv.

You think TiVo would even be around today if it only allowed high def tv's? doubt it. (and most TiVos are cheaper than $250). If my TV doesn't work with Apple TV, then most (ie majority) dont work. And if a majority dont work AND it doesn't have truly high definition, then this is one Apple product you will see at end-of-life rather quickly.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Yes it was. However, I would still bet a vast majority (easily 60-90%) of TV watchers do not have high definition anything. Its especially strange because why limit yourself to some small percentage (i.e. its not fully 1080p and its not regular TV so essentially Apples marketing this product to a slim minority of watchers) when you could so easily put a setting that would allow viewing on any tv.

You think TiVo would even be around today if it only allowed high def tv's? doubt it. (and most TiVos are cheaper than $250). If my TV doesn't work with Apple TV, then most (ie majority) dont work. And if a majority dont work AND it doesn't have truly high definition, then this is one Apple product you will see at end-of-life rather quickly.

Okay... so? All we know about this thing from Apple is what they've told us about it. For all we know it could work with any TV made from the 1950s onwards.
If it arrives at the end of its life quickly then I'll just have to pick one up for cheap and use it. Such are the tragedies of life, eh?:)

reykjavik

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2004
Okay... so? All we know about this thing from Apple is what they've told us about it. For all we know it could work with any TV made from the 1950s onwards.
If it arrives at the end of its life quickly then I'll just have to pick one up for cheap and use it. Such are the tragedies of life, eh?:)

I've been doing some research, Apple TV requires a minimum of 480p. I believe basic TV is 480i. What I don't know is whether that makes a difference or not. I guess time will tell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.