Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

machenryr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
I don’t know what the deal is. We had a Comcast technician come last week to fix an unrelated problem. Ever since I can’t get Apple TV to work. The Apple Remote won’t turn it on. I charged it over night but no change. Does any Apple Remote work or are they somehow paired with the device? The Apple TV is plugged into the same HDMI input as before. I have a smart TV so I can access most of the old channels with the LG remote. Any tips or ideas? I’ve unplugged it and plugged back.

Last edited:

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Obvious question first, is the ATV plugged in (both the into the box and into the wall)?

What ATV do you have? What remote are you using with it?

Try unplugging the ATV, then plug it back in, is there any lights on the front of the box?

If so, maybe the remote needs to be re-paired with the ATV.

Are you on the right source of the HDMI input?

The Apple TV is plugged into the same HDMI input as before.
If the above doesn't solve anything, and there is a light on the ATV when you unplug, then plug it in again, have you tried using a different HDMI cable? A different HDMI port?

I have a smart TV so I can access most of the old channels with the LG remote.
Not sure what you mean here. Do you mean you are using apps that are in the television's OS? If so, probably not relevant to what is going on with your ATV.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
The Siri Remote and aTV pair one to one. Each aTV will only listen to one remote at a time, and the remote will only talk to one aTV at a time.

To pair, just get the remote close to the aTV, and hold the back and volume + buttons for a couple seconds, you'll see a popup on the TV when it's successful. (older Siri remotes have a menu instead of a back button). The aTV and remote will both forget any other devices they were paired with>

machenryr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
I'll try pairing it. I'm going to respond to the above post. It really seems ot be that the remote just stopped working.

machenryr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
Obvious question first, is the ATV plugged in (both the into the box and into the wall)?

YES.
What ATV do you have? What remote are you using with it?

I'm not sure which ATV it is but I'm using the remote that came with it.
Try unplugging the ATV, then plug it back in, is there any lights on the front of the box?

YES. At first the light blinks until it gets a command the LG remote - the ATV seems dead, although I've charged it over night. I've also alternately hit the on/off button on the remote.
If so, maybe the remote needs to be re-paired with the ATV.

Will try this.
Are you on the right source of the HDMI input?

Yes.
If the above doesn't solve anything, and there is a light on the ATV when you unplug, then plug it in again, have you tried using a different HDMI cable? A different HDMI port?

I have not tried a different HDMI cable. But the cables are good - 95% certain of it.
Not sure what you mean here. Do you mean you are using apps that are in the television's OS? If so, probably not relevant to what is going on with your ATV.

I know the LG isn't pertinent to my situation. I was just stating an aside that I can still watch most of my ATV shows as a app through LG, so I'm not completely dead in the water.

Thank you for your detailed response!

machenryr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
The Siri Remote and aTV pair one to one. Each aTV will only listen to one remote at a time, and the remote will only talk to one aTV at a time.

To pair, just get the remote close to the aTV, and hold the back and volume + buttons for a couple seconds, you'll see a popup on the TV when it's successful. (older Siri remotes have a menu instead of a back button). The aTV and remote will both forget any other devices they were paired with>

I’m not certain what do you mean by holding the back and the plus volume. I’m holding the back of the remote that has the Apple logo but there’s not a button like not really sure. Anyway, it hasn’t done anything yet. I’m not sure whether there’s a light that supposed to be on the remote. I don’t remember that, but there isn’t any light or anything on the remote at all. I’ll have to investigate more when I have more time. Thank you very much!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.