Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
How come I can only view my Photos as a slide-show and I cannot browse my photos from a grid of thumbnails. That's a major bummer. I don't need to watch my photo collection. I guess I just expected it to be similar to the iPhone.

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2006
London
you could pause the slideshow on the first picture, then use the forward button to go through them, i dont see that being easier though. you can also turn off ken burns effect.

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
This is a good question. It would be nice to be able to browse through thumbnails of your photos with AppleTV. I haven't looked at photos in months using it because when I did I realized I had to view all of the photos in a specific album instead of just pulling up randoms ones to show someone.

tbsteph

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2006
Arizona
ATV and Photos

Viewing photos on the ATV becomes a monumental pain without the ability to sort them similar to how iPhoto works.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
but the idea is that you sort them once in iphoto, then its ready on appletv

No, the idea is being able to say "Hey, I have a photo I want to show you" and be able to flip right to that photo in thumbnail view. The current way is like "Hey, I have a photo to show you. Hang on while I skip through this endless slide show to find the photo I'm looking for".

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah you can set things up in iPhoto to show an entire slideshow of an event but if I want a specific photo using AppleTV it's a big inconvenience.

markfc

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2006
Prestatyn, Wales, UK
Currently the Photo section is useless. Apple really need to do some work here. A proper photo browser is needed...the ability to search you're music library would be nice too!

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Currently the Photo section is useless. Apple really need to do some work here. A proper photo browser is needed...the ability to search you're music library would be nice too!

I agree. I use the photos as a screensaver. Never really go into the program by itself. Frontrows photo section is even worse.

bergmef

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2005
North East, MD, USA
I just want my events to show in a list (instead of albums). Just make it a photo setting. The only problem I see is not everyone has and iphoto version with events. Least common denominator wins. :-(

duoart

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2007
Apple doesn't get it

THE killer app for ATV is photo archiving and browsing. Period. EVERYONE has digital cameras these days. EVERYONE has larger Hi-Def TVs. Not everyone is that interested in iTunes or renting movies.

Take my 75 year old Father. Just bought himself a killer Canon Digital SLR and has no easy way to display his photos on the largest display in the house.

Look at this Sony device:

http://www.jr.com/sony/pe/SON_HDMSS1D/

Giving the ATV similar functionality would be almost trivial. A $20 Flash card reader hooked up to the USB and some software. Done.

WAKE UP APPLE!!!!! If Apple fixed this one flaw in the ATV and had one commercial showing someone browsing their photos on their big screen TV, they'd sell millions.

sachin10dulkar

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2008
duoart, i conpletely agree. I love the way that pics look on my ATV, but it is rubbish at nivigating through them. It is frustrating that you cant preview and then go to which ever pic you want. You can navigate through Songs, if they did the same for pics it would be a huge selling point.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
How does the aTV photo feature work for non-Mac users? I thought aTV just synced with the "My Photos" folder. Does it just play all of the photos in a slide show?

duoart

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2007
How does the aTV photo feature work for non-Mac users? I thought aTV just synced with the "My Photos" folder. Does it just play all of the photos in a slide show?

Pretty much. You get one directory's worth of indirection. I file my photos by year and then month. So I can basically can get to a year's worth of photos in a slide show. No way to display thumbnails and pick an individual photo.

Annoying, isn't it?

mhall

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2008
Windows users can use Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition 3.2 (a free download) to organise their photos, this works well with Apple TV (you can view photos as sets etc.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.