Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lukewarm74

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2013
My wife and I noticed that our Apple TV remote was no longer working this morning. We tried charging it, but it didn't help, and the Apple TV didn't report that it was charging (on screen).

We didn't think much of it, but figured a hardware issue must've come up with it.

A few hours later, we got a call from our parents who have two different Apple TVs in their house, and both of their remotes have also stopped working today.

I just did some googling but haven't seen anyone else reporting this. It seems like way too much of a coincidence that three Apple TVs would all have their remotes stop working on the same day.

Is anyone else running into this?

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
You had me worried. I just checked and the remote turned in my tv. Everything is working fine. Hope your issue gets resolved quickly!

lukewarm74

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2013
Thanks! Just wondering, which Apple TV do you have and what software version is it on?

I've got a 4K (A1842) running tvOS 12.2 (16L226).

pvig42

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2011
London
I had the same thing happen last year on my ATV4 and just couldn't get the remote to work. The ATV Remote app was fine but the Siri remote just wouldn't cooperate even though fully charged. Finally I found the reason which was that the power socket wasn't all the way into the wall socket.

Have you checked the socket? Give it a go although can't guarantee this may be the case in this situation.

MistrSynistr

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
The other day I actually had my remote just stop working. I reset the ATV and it was fine after. I wonder if this is a TVOS bug.

lukewarm74

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2013
In case anyone stumbles across this in the future, turns out two of the remotes just needed to be re-paired to the Apple TV (by holding Menu + Volume Up).

The other remote was actually completely broken, so it had to be replaced. Strange.

NTXiOS

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2019
I had this happen with my ATV4K and did a restart on the Apple TV and it fixed the issue.

Cordorb

macrumors regular
May 8, 2010
the remote gets firmware updates every now and then

check

Settings → Remotes and Devices → Bluetooth

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.