Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
A really weird one....

I use Apple TV daily, its my main TV interface and about a week or so ago - NOT coinciding with any software updates (to my knowledge anyway) the way the box works has changed significantly.

Usually I go to the TV app, and scroll down once to get my up next at the top of the screen so I dont have to see all the ads playing above. I use as normal then when ive finished with the show I press the back button a number of times until I get back to that up next screen in the TV app where I started.

Recently, however, Ive noticed that the final press of the back button instead of taking me back to the up next in the TV app it jumps me back to the main home screen with the up next showing in the top shelf (I have my TV app in the dock).
I was finding this really annoying as I then had an extra step to go back into the TV app to choose my next show.

Anyway, completely by accident I forgot I was on the main menu, and from the top shelf I pressed and held the centre button as I would usually do in the TV app and.... the context menu appeared. This has NEVER worked before the top shelf is usually just a dumb display of all the shows in up next and all you can do is press play and nothing more.

So, you can now long press on content in your up next appearing in the top shelf from the main menu. Quite different to how it used to work and yet no warning, and no update (unless Im going mad) to make it happen. Menu items such as 'go to show' are now accessible from the top shelf.

Anyone else notice this?

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
You’ve been able to do so since September

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
You’ve been able to do so since September

Thats as maybe I guess. I only found it by accident and although I read a lot about new software ive never seen this mentioned in TVOS 17 reviews etc.

Also, the 'press back' not ending up in the TV app is very new - this only started to behave this way last week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.