Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

and 4096 others like this

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2018
Hi,
I have problems with my Apple TV. At least I thing it is Apple TV fault.

I know that there use to be problem with 23,976 fps and 24 fps on ATV, but this is not the case. I have ATV 4K and Philips TV PUS6754. I can see stuttering while watching dynamic content (it is noticable especially while zooming in movie, I attached part of movie I bought on iTunes). Maybe recording this with phone is not best idea to show it, but just trust me - I can see it.

I can tell even more - I played two the same movies on Netflix App from Apple TV and Build in Philips TV Netflix App. Same scene - no stuttering on Philips only, but there is on ATV.

What can cause that?

Second problem I have with soundbar conncetion. I have Denon soundbar connceted with TV by HDMI ARC, Apple TV is connected with TV with standard HDMI port. Normally when I turen on Apple TV, TV and soundbar turns on automatically but sometimes sound goes from TV speakers not soundbar (even tho in setting there is choosed Denon connection)

Again, what can caused that?

Thanks a lot for all help!

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
make sure you have "match rate" turned on in the video settings.
What you're seeing is called judder. it's caused when the frame rates of the signal and TV don't line up, So if the signal is 24, and the TV is 30. The TV has 6 frames to "make up," so every few frames it plays a frame twice to fill in the gap, your eye sees the double frame as a brief pause in motion, and as you said it's more noticeable on shots with long movement.
When using an app on your TV, it should automatically set the frame rate.

while you're there, you should think about enabling "match range" also. It will prevent standard range shows from being played in simulated HDR. When that happens the aTV does an upscale on the signal and it can lead to overblown colors.

having these 2 options on will probably cause your TV to black out for a second when you start or stop playback and it adjusts to the new signal, but it's worth that to have a better quality image on what you're watching.

for the sound bar, try fully unpluging and re-pluging both ends of the HDMI cable between the TV and sound bar, or try a different cable.
Also try unplugging everything (aTV, TV, sound bar) from power for a few seconds.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2018
What you're seeing is called judder. it's caused when the frame rates of the signal and TV don't line up, So if the signal is 24, and the TV is 30. The TV has 6 frames to "make up," so every few frames it plays a frame twice to fill in the gap, your eye sees the double frame as a brief pause in motion, and as you said it's more noticeable on shots with long movement.

while you're there, you should think about enabling "match range" also. It will prevent standard range shows from being played in simulated HDR. When that happens the aTV does an upscale on the signal and it can lead to overblown colors.

having these 2 options on will probably cause your TV to black out for a second when you start or stop playback and it adjusts to the new signal, but it's worth that to have a better quality image on what you're watching.

for the sound bar, try fully unpluging and re-pluging both ends of the HDMI cable between the TV and sound bar, or try a different cable.
Also try unplugging everything (aTV, TV, sound bar) from power for a few seconds.
Thank you very much for this long answer! :) I checked what you said, but unfortunately there is no such option as „match rate” in my TV :( I found only „smoothing motion” option (I don’t know how is it call in English tho). I turned it off, but it wouldn’t helped :(

about soundbar - I did it before (full unpluged) but this problem come and go. I would say once every 20-30 turnings on TV. Bigger problem for me is judder.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2018
One more thing… I change Audio settings in Apple TV from Dolby Atmos to Stereo. I have 2.1 system, so maybe this was a problem?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Thank you very much for this long answer! :) I checked what you said, but unfortunately there is no such option as „match rate” in my TV :( I found only „smoothing motion” option (I don’t know how is it call in English tho). I turned it off, but it wouldn’t helped :(

about soundbar - I did it before (full unpluged) but this problem come and go. I would say once every 20-30 turnings on TV. Bigger problem for me is judder.
"Match rate" is in the AppleTV video settings, not the TV's settings.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2018
"Match rate" is in the AppleTV video settings, not the TV's settings.

So… I turned on match rate and match range but judder still exists :( I have also choosed option 4K HDR, when I was trying 4K Dolby Vision, display was blinking every few seconds… What I can do next? Should I by new Apple TV, beacause this one is broken?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
So… I turned on match rate and match range but judder still exists :( I have also choosed option 4K HDR, when I was trying 4K Dolby Vision, display was blinking every few seconds… What I can do next? Should I by new Apple TV, beacause this one is broken?
What happens if you turn off HDR and just use 4K SDR? Do you still see the judder artifact?

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2018
What happens if you turn off HDR and just use 4K SDR? Do you still see the judder artifact?
Yes, there is still judder effect :(
Now it is even worse. While watching movies screen is blinking (even if I back to the previous settings). I check every 4K format - HDR/SDR and Dolby Vision on 50/60/30 fps. Also „chroma” effect turns on by itself twice from 4:2:0 to 4:2:2.

I ma start to thinking, that my A TV is just broken…

JeffPerrin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
I've noticed judder recently as well. HDR off and match rate off (or on). Mostly YouTube and Amazon Prime content? Still observing other sources...

Hoping the problem is software-related (fixable) and not with my new Sony Bravia... ?

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2018
I've noticed judder recently as well. HDR off and match rate off (or on). Mostly YouTube and Amazon Prime content? Still observing other sources...

Hoping the problem is software-related (fixable) and not with my new Sony Bravia... ?
In my case something is clearly wrong in ATV settings or with device (ATV) itself. I again checked build in TV Netflix app - no judder, no blinking and no sound problem. When I use ATV there is judder and now even blinking every few seconds during watching content. No matter if I turn on match rate, if i have chroma 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 or if I choose 4K HDR 30/50/60 fps…

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
I don't see you mention what TV, but there's definitely some kind of sync issue between your TV and the ATV. If it's a Samsung TV (like mine), unplugging the ATV from the TV, then plugging it back in may sync things up. Either the TV or the ATV is confused about the signals, it shouldn't ever blink. You might try a better HDMI cable too. I've noticed I can't use anything under an 8K HDMI cable for anything that uses HDR. And some content has judder, no matter what, and I think it's from when it was converted to the current content type. (it's mostly older stuff)

Reactions: HobeSoundDarryl

Egcooper

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2021
I am from the UK and I also had the same judder / stuttering issues you describe in YouTube and Now Tv ( and others apps) on my Apple TV box. The issue was with a setting on my LG tv. I had TrueMotion setting on. This inserts extra frames to make the image look smoother. This was making the Apple and the Lg not match up with the same frame rate though. After turning off this setting in the LG Picture Settings, the Apple TV content was smooth. Maybe your Philips tv has a similar setting to increase smoothness by inserting extra frames. Turn this off in the Philips tv settings. That is my suggestion. Hope my finding help someone, it was driving me nuts.

Last edited:
Reactions: satcomer

djlythium

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2014
On my 4K LG TV, this judder seems to be connected to LG’s Instant Game Response. I turned it off for the port to which the ATV is connected, and it seems fixed now.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
Having this exact issue on my Samsung qn90a. I upgraded from a three year old Roku and I’m so sick of this terrible juttter I might return this Apple TV. I can’t believe a three year old Roku is performing better. I’ve gotten new cables tried different ports don’t software updates.. I’m running out of options here. Was this ever solved?

Sam5pm

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2022
Italia
Hi guys, I have the problem of judder as well. It is very annoying. My brand new TV the LGA16 55” OLED doesn’t have VRR. For this reason I bought an ATV 4K to avoid judder problem. The fact is that even enabling the frame rate matching and the dynamic range matching the problem still remains. I also set FileMaker mode on my TV w/o any truemotion interpolation and the Apple TV is set on 4K SDR 60Hz. The hdmi cable is new and high-speed. The sound is well managed and it performs Dolby Atmos correctly in my soundbar. Do you have ant suggestions to solve the problem? Thanks in advance!!

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Hi guys, I have the problem of judder as well. It is very annoying. My brand new TV the LGA16 55” OLED doesn’t have VRR. For this reason I bought an ATV 4K to avoid judder problem. The fact is that even enabling the frame rate matching and the dynamic range matching the problem still remains. I also set FileMaker mode on my TV w/o any truemotion interpolation and the Apple TV is set on 4K SDR 60Hz. The hdmi cable is new and high-speed. The sound is well managed and it performs Dolby Atmos correctly in my soundbar. Do you have ant suggestions to solve the problem? Thanks in advance!!

Is this on Wi-Fi 6 or 5 or is it wired?

Sam5pm

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2022
Italia
It is on Wi-Fi 5. No possibility to use cable (modem-router is downstairs and a power line does not provide enough network speed). Do you think Wi-Fi 6 could solve the problem? In terms of network I have only Fritzbox devices and I have FTTC 150/20 MB (I know, it is not a super performing network!)

Sam5pm

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2022
Italia
Near the ATV 4K the WI-FI network performs these results: not less than 50Mbps DW-15/20 Mbps UP. 19-20 ms Ping. Do you think is enough?

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
The video you posted as an example in Post #1:

1. What streaming service played on what device?
2. What movie?
3. Timestamp in movie

thash1zn1t

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2022
I had stuttering on various films when using Plex app on Apple TV. This was driving me mad as I couldn't figure it out. I had match frame rate on in Apple TV settings and had resolution set to 1080p SDR. Annoyingly it didn't happen on every film making we wonder if my content was broken in some way. After much searching I figured out what the issue was. Most film content is 24p. I was noticing that my Sony TV was NOT changing to 1080/24p. This was because if you choose a resolution in Apple TV it overrides the match frame rate option. If you go into video format in Apple TV settings, scroll to the bottom and select Other Formats you can select 1080p SDR 24. You must also set match frame rate to off. I then noticed that my tv was correctly setting the resolution to 1080/24p! I thought that must be it!!! but in my case it didn't fix it. Another forum suggested that the Plex TV app on Apple TV does NOT automatically adjust for the Apple TV resolution settings. After installing Infuse video player it didn't matter what settings I had in Apple TV Infuse CORRECTLY played back the 24p content buttery smooth! This journey has been painful and annoying as the Infuse app is great but doesn't have the nice layout like Plex so I have to use both. I also have motion control set to minimum on my Sony TV as this seems to offer the best outcome when swapping between films and sport.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
For reasons I don't understand Plex will stall saying that my network is too slow. Given that my network speed is > 300 Mbps it isn't a network problem. Sometimes just restarting the playback session, exiting playback and then restarting the movie works. Seems to be movie dependent, maybe an encoding issue.

thash1zn1t

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2022
For reasons I don't understand Plex will stall saying that my network is too slow. Given that my network speed is > 300 Mbps it isn't a network problem. Sometimes just restarting the playback session, exiting playback and then restarting the movie works. Seems to be movie dependent, maybe an encoding issue.
Had the exact same issue and the fix for me was strangely to disable direct play in the Plex app. for some reason I think depending on the bitrate of the movie the amount of caching isn't enough for direct play for some reason. Worth a shot anyway as it fixed a LOT of buffering and I can't play this right now messages for me. Oh and sometimes if the app is updated it will switch it back on

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
It is on Wi-Fi 5. No possibility to use cable (modem-router is downstairs and a power line does not provide enough network speed). Do you think Wi-Fi 6 could solve the problem? In terms of network I have only Fritzbox devices and I have FTTC 150/20 MB (I know, it is not a super performing network!)

Then run a temporary Cat 6 cable to Apple TV and see if you see the buffering to be sure! I ask because older cheap wireless seem to break within 2 years lately!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.