Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ledzep1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2016
Is there a way to disable trailers of other apple tv + content before the start of something you wish to watch, I find this extremely annoying, take the The Mosquito Coast for example.

I go to watch an episode, I get a long trailer of something else before hand that gives me the option to skip, then I get a recap of the show Im about to watch, this gives me the option to skip as well.

The issue with this is that Dolby Vision, keeps activating with each trailer/recap, which makes the picture go to a black screen as it switches to match the content, this is my biggest issue with all the trailers/recaps before the start of a show. I just want to watch the show I intended to watch, and not have to keep clicking through trailers and recaps making my TV go into some frenzy with Dolby Vision continually re activating.

Anyone else get fed up with the trailers/recaps.

ledzep1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2016
Yes, they are annoying... but I always get a SKIP button on the screen every time one plays... can also skip RECAPs and INTROs.

Yeah the skip button is there for me, but I hate where it keep's activating Dolby Vision every time you skip the trailers/recaps.

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2019
Wait what? Are you saying you start an episode of an AppleTV+ show and plays a trailer first?
It never happened to me. On what device are you viewing?

ledzep1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2016
Wait what? Are you saying you start an episode of an AppleTV+ show and plays a trailer first?
It never happened to me. On what device are you viewing?

Yes, The Mosquito Coast, new series on apple tv + via ATV4K.

I get trailer of another apple tv + show and then the recap of show i'm watching.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Yes, The Mosquito Coast, new series on apple tv + via ATV4K.

I get trailer of another apple tv + show and then the recap of show i'm watching.

Yeah, it's called advertising... all networks tend to do stuff like that to promote other offerings. Just click the SKIP button and move on.

FYI, it doesn't usually happen for me if I'm binge-watching a show, beyond the first episode or two...

ledzep1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2016
Yeah, it's called advertising... all networks tend to do stuff like that to promote other offerings. Just click the SKIP button and move on.

FYI, it doesn't usually happen for me if I'm binge-watching a show, beyond the first episode or two...

Yeah just the 1st show normally, it actually doesn't happen on all networks, I don't get it on Netflix or Disney.

Its not so much the advertising that bothers me, just the continuous activating of dolby vision when the content keeps changing. But in any case I will just have to live with it.

JSteele

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2021
They are following in Amazon Prime’s footprint to advertise their own shows prior to watching your show. Feels weird to me for a paid service.

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013
They are following in Amazon Prime’s footprint to advertise their own shows prior to watching your show. Feels weird to me for a paid service.
But for the majority of viewers... it's NOT A PAID service... we're all essentially watching Apple TV+ for free until July.

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
Disappointed that there were no significant update to TVos yesterday, but I would love an option to automatically skip trailers, recaps and opening credits for TV content. Basically, a binge watch option.

Also, the play next option seems hit and miss. I started watching Losing Alice last night, and at the end of the first episode, the play next episode was Lisey's Story. Amongst all the other needless thumbnails there was no sign of Losing Alice, so I had to go digging around in the menus again.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Disappointed that there were no significant update to TVos yesterday, but I would love an option to automatically skip trailers, recaps and opening credits for TV content. Basically, a binge watch option.

Also, the play next option seems hit and miss. I started watching Losing Alice last night, and at the end of the first episode, the play next episode was Lisey's Story. Amongst all the other needless thumbnails there was no sign of Losing Alice, so I had to go digging around in the menus again.

The whole TV+ part of the AppleTV experience is crap. One might think that Apple could hire some usability experts to work on that design, but so far, no dice.

Reactions: AdeFowler

alexhardaker

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
The "Up Next" "feature"is a train wreck... and there us too much non-AT+ content intermixed with the AT+ offerings... confusing users and causing a lot of complains.
I’ve not really had an issue with the up next feature. There’s now an  TV+ tab within the app

Reactions: ledzep1

ledzep1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2016
I’ve not really had an issue with the up next feature. There’s now an  TV+ tab within the app

I hope they improve the UI in ios/tvOS 15, no idea what or how though, I would say the library could be improved, for digital movie purchases the library is quite poorly designed, in terms of search and layout functionality, when you build quite a collection it can be hard to remember what you already own, lol. But I guess that is the issue with a digital library.

alexhardaker

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
I hope they improve the UI in ios/tvOS 15, no idea what or how though, I would say the library could be improved, for digital movie purchases the library is quite poorly designed, in terms of search and layout functionality, when you build quite a collection it can be hard to remember what you already own, lol. But I guess that is the issue with a digital library.
I think it’s odd that the iTunes Store apps & the Apple TV app show different results for the same thing when trying to purchase something - one showing a box set, for example & the other not. I haven’t recently purchased any tv shows for that to be annoying, but I plan on purchasing it’s always sunny in Philadelphia as a box set whenever that finishes altogether. I’d rather not have each series separated.

I only recently watched it via Netflix U.K. & I absolutely love it! I think after 1 1/2 series I decided I was going to buy the box set when it becomes available. I watched all 14 series in around 5 weeks lol

Reactions: ledzep1

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2019
I'm still wondering if this is a "feature" available only in certain regions? I still never had this issue. I select the episode I want to watch and it plays instantly. No annoying trailers, nothing.
I'm in Germany using a LG TV

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.