Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 27, 2013
I haven’t had a streaming service that has such high video quality as Apple TV+ does. Apple should be applauded for this. Not enough people care enough about video quality and it’s great to see Apple providing such high quality anyways.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I agree.

In terms of 4K HDR performance, Apple TV+ is easily the best with artifact free encoding, vibrant use of Dolby Vision, and lots of details. Disney+ is also pretty darn good, even though they are known to "fake HDR" here and there.

Amazon Prime Video is not quite as good as these two offerings, which is also marred by Amazon not combining 4K and HD contents in to a single title.

Netflix is my least favorite. Images are sharp enough but with more pronounced compression artifacts and much less vibrant HDR.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Another positive thing Apple does that’s never mentioned is the number of supported languages for closed-captioning and second audio tracks. I think every show has voiceovers and closed captioning in every major language. No other service does this.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Another positive thing Apple does that’s never mentioned is the number of supported languages for closed-captioning and second audio tracks. I think every show has voiceovers and closed captioning in every major language. No other service does this.
My only real quibbles with their technical implementations are:
  • Apple TV app occasionally not remembering the last position (resets to the beginning).
  • No Apple TV+ button/tab on the Apple TV app. Scrolling down and hunt for Apple TV+ channel button is tiresome.

Martinpa

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2014

I watch everything in English, but they even have both a French and French Canadian version of the audio and subtitles. From the little snippets I listened to, there's isn't much difference, but sometimes it might just be one or two differing characters. Still, impressive.

My only real quibbles with their technical implementations are:
  • Apple TV app occasionally not remembering the last position (resets to the beginning).
  • No Apple TV+ button/tab on the Apple TV app. Scrolling down and hunt for Apple TV+ channel button is tiresome.

Agree. The UX/UI is really problematic and I'm surprised as we get to the end of most people's free trial and with tvOS having just been updated, that they didn't address this

Reactions: 211

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
The TV ui and hardware need to be updated. I wish they would hurry up and release a new one. Other than that everything about ios streaming is perfect.

Reactions: 211

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I haven’t had a streaming service that has such high video quality as Apple TV+ does. Apple should be applauded for this. Not enough people care enough about video quality and it’s great to see Apple providing such high quality anyways.
We just bought a new Samsung 4k tv. I noticed how good the video streaming on "the morning show" was.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
Video quality on iTunes movies/tv shows has always been a cut above other services, not at all surprised to see that continue! It is indeed great though!

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia

Prime IMHO when doing 4k has as good or superior video quality to Apple TV+.

Its damn close though but i can often see noise/compression artefacts on both services, particularly in background out of focus areas of block colour.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
I was actually thinking recently that the quality has declined. Still very very good, but black levels aren’t quite as deep as they once were. I’m convinced they’ve dropped the bitrate somewhat.

Janeilfen

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2018
Couldn't agree more. Having said that, we have been watching "The Long Way Up" and it has stalled on a couple of occasions. Not buffering just stopping. Checked the internet speed at the time and it was 62Mbs.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I've had some audio issues with Tiny World and Long Way Up (possibly an Atmos thing or could have happened with any audio output). and a terrible black crushing moment in one episode of See (could have been my set-up or TV?)

Otherwise, I also agree that TV+ has been top notch for quality (which it should be since they aren't working with a LARGE library to maintain at this point.

Janeilfen

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2018
Just to add that I will probably be cancelling mid November when my year is up, even though they are technically superior quality to other providers. I don't think there is enough content to warrant £5 per month. Mind you, Covid hasn't helped them make much new content I suppose.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Just to add that I will probably be cancelling mid November when my year is up, even though they are technically superior quality to other providers. I don't think there is enough content to warrant £5 per month. Mind you, Covid hasn't helped them make much new content I suppose.
There might be a trial extension:

ledzep1

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2016
Just started a sub and thought Ted Lasso series has brilliant picture quality, can anyone recommend more shows that stand out for them?

thanks

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
I'll second the recommendation for Long Way Up and Tiny World. The picture quality is outstanding. Also, the documentary The Elephant Queen. Mythic Quest is a really hilarious look at a software company.

Reactions: ledzep1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.