Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pastorinni

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2019
Logic would dictate that the sole device with the problem would be the problem. However networking operates outside the boundaries of logic. Power cycling the router should also fix it since it seems to need to renew the IP the ATV is using. I would try power cycling the router AND modem just to see the duration before it happens again.

Also when its happening log into the google app and look at data usage on your network. Make sure the AppleTV or something isn't saturating bandwidth. 100 mbps isn't difficult this day in age, Apple, Sony, Microsoft, etc can do that. Google gives you the ability to see that in the app though.

You are correct, network works in funny ways.

There is no saturation in the bandwidth, my internet is 600mbps, and I'm not even using internet to stream these. As I mentioned I have these files saved on my network hard drive (WD MyCloud), and stream them via the wi-fi, this doesn't consume (or wouldn't be affected by) some other app/device using the bandwidth, regardless the usage is negligible, I checked.

It really came down to what you said, restarting the router prevented the issue from occurring, and it is pretty stable now, so I guess just cycle the router once in a while to keep things fresh. I didn't even do a power cycle, just a reboot via the google wi-fi app.

I hope this helps others with a similar issue.

RJelly

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2019
So my Apple TV has had this problem basically since I got it, but it happens infrequently enough (maybe once a week) that I just deal with it. But now it is starting to get on my nerves. Basically, I'll notice that things look pixilated and not HD, I'll check the Speed Test and the speed will be very slow, typically around 1 Mbps. All I do is reboot the Apple TV without touching anything else and I'm getting ~100 Mbps.

This is driving me nuts. Does anyone know why it just will constantly nearly lose its connection like this? Anything I can do?

Before Reboot:
sRInuHU.png

After Reboot:
Po9c7pK.png
I’m having this exact same issue. It’s quite frustrating and Apple was of no help. This seems like a new problem potentially software related however, I’ve done a hard reset of the device. I don’t have the ability to run Ethernet cable to this Apple TV. Hoping somebody has found a solve for this...

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
I have different passcodes for 2.4 and 5.0. But had a lot of trouble even with wired WiFi to my set, not ATV 4k, which I just got.

We had terrible close by lightning storms back in late August. Replaced router with AX wifi6 unit. Still iffy. Once or twice a day would drop from 100Mb down to 10 or even less.

Replaced modem and almost vanished totally but seems every Saturday need to unplug and reboot modem and of course the router.

I blame Netflix in part for my trouble. Lightning and ISP too. Dropped Netflix and got the 4k ATV hoping things are better. And new coax filtering and grounding.

YesNoMaybe

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2019
I have same issue. Two ATVs. One is 4k and the other is not. Issue occurs after awaking ATV from sleep. Speed test shows around 12Mb. Rebooting devices takes approx 25 secs and retesting speed its at 100mb. Its not an interference issue. It has to be some kind of issue in the ATVs awake routine. This wreaks havoc on streaming quality for hulu live. Im using a mesh network and can view RSSI strength and AP attachment in realtime, its not that either. Something in the code on the device. May try to see if its possible to grab logs and see whats up

Kevin Geibel

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2019
I have the same issue. I have 2 AT4K, I use them daily and they require rebooting every day. When they first turn on they either get no connection (speed test fails) or i get around 5 Mbps. After reboot, they are hitting 250-300 Mbps. we recently switched to using the plume mesh network. we didn't have any apple TV issues before plume. they would only connect to our old network at a consistent 50-60 Mbps, so the plume is a nice upgrade as everything in the house now is blazing fast. but, for some reason Apple TV does not get a good connection upon wake.

millerrh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
I have the same issue. I have 2 AT4K, I use them daily and they require rebooting every day. When they first turn on they either get no connection (speed test fails) or i get around 5 Mbps. After reboot, they are hitting 250-300 Mbps. we recently switched to using the plume mesh network. we didn't have any apple TV issues before plume. they would only connect to our old network at a consistent 50-60 Mbps, so the plume is a nice upgrade as everything in the house now is blazing fast. but, for some reason Apple TV does not get a good connection upon wake.

We use the Google Mesh system, so maybe something about mesh systems are causing this? At any rate, mine was solved by hard wiring the one that would do it all the time. So now out of our 3 ATVs, 2 are hard wired and one is not yet does not exhibit the behavior as much as the living room one so can deal with occasional reboots.

Kevin Geibel

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2019
We use the Google Mesh system, so maybe something about mesh systems are causing this? At any rate, mine was solved by hard wiring the one that would do it all the time. So now out of our 3 ATVs, 2 are hard wired and one is not yet does not exhibit the behavior as much as the living room one so can deal with occasional reboots.

I tried setting the one ATV 4k TV to have a static IP today in the plume app..just trying anything to see if it would make a difference... the same behavior persists. we actually have 3 Apple TV's, the 3rd one is not a 4k box, but just an ATV HD. i only use that one a couple times a week, but i have yet to experience this problem on the older device. Are all of your ATV's the same type? wondering if it is related to the newer 4k versions?

This problem is annoying...hope there is a fix for it someday. We exclusively use ATV for TV...got rid of cable a long time ago. This happens so frequently that I have programmed a reboot button onto the remote.

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 250
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 220

millerrh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
I tried setting the one ATV 4k TV to have a static IP today in the plume app..just trying anything to see if it would make a difference... the same behavior persists. we actually have 3 Apple TV's, the 3rd one is not a 4k box, but just an ATV HD. i only use that one a couple times a week, but i have yet to experience this problem on the older device. Are all of your ATV's the same type? wondering if it is related to the newer 4k versions?

This problem is annoying...hope there is a fix for it someday. We exclusively use ATV for TV...got rid of cable a long time ago. This happens so frequently that I have programmed a reboot button onto the remote.

Yes, all mine are the 4K variety.

PinchedSquare

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2019
Hawaii, USA
Just putting it out there. have been experiencing the exact same issue now for the past year using a ATV 4K, LG 4K Oled and Google wifi. No solutions yet.

P.DeFranco

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2020
Just putting it out there. have been experiencing the exact same issue now for the past year using a ATV 4K, LG 4K Oled and Google wifi. No solutions yet.
I also have that configuration w/a 2017 4K LG OLED 65” w/Google WiFi and exact same network issues w/ATV 4K. I’m wondering if that’s related to the issue.?

millerrh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
Tv is not part of the issue but Google WiFi might be. I’m using a Sony.

P.DeFranco

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2020
I just changed only the DNS to use Google’s @ 8.8.8.8 and now it’s finally connected and I no longer get the network connection warnings—but it’s still much slower than my other devices on the same Google Wifi network. By the way, my signal is always at full or excellent.
[automerge]1578405861[/automerge]
Thanks to everyone here for the comments and suggestions! Even though it’s not fixed, I’m much farther along than I was before visiting this Forum.

Kevin Geibel

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2019
Yes, all mine are the 4K variety.

I noticed when my ATV wakes up and has this issue it is getting connected to the plume pod that is furthest away. we only have 2 pods...and far away means about 25 feet. I ended up unplugging the 2nd plume pod, my mesh network is no longer a mesh...and really, the main pod is enough to cover the house. This has resolved my issues, no more slow ATV connection, no more daily restarting. It's not ideal, the whole purpose of getting these networks is to give better coverage to large houses.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
I’m having the same issues with my Apple TV 4K. iPhones and iPads always gets 60+ Mbps while Apple TV is always in the teens. I wish Apple will release a new Apple TV.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I’m having the same issues with my Apple TV 4K. iPhones and iPads always gets 60+ Mbps while Apple TV is always in the teens. I wish Apple will release a new Apple TV.

A new Apple TV is not going to fix connectivity issues. It might support ax which would help a bit with wireless connections. My 4k wired right now gives me 939 Mbps so you aren't hitting hardware network limitations.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I have different passcodes for 2.4 and 5.0. But had a lot of trouble even with wired WiFi to my set, not ATV 4k, which I just got.

We had terrible close by lightning storms back in late August. Replaced router with AX wifi6 unit. Still iffy. Once or twice a day would drop from 100Mb down to 10 or even less.

Replaced modem and almost vanished totally but seems every Saturday need to unplug and reboot modem and of course the router.

I blame Netflix in part for my trouble. Lightning and ISP too. Dropped Netflix and got the 4k ATV hoping things are better. And new coax filtering and grounding.

My brother went through the same thing a few months back! The 1970s cable runs used mechanical blockers toblock channels at house! My brothers planegad bad snowy cable TV and Internet! After arguing with techs online they sent an engineer out to his house! After he verified the bad connection and brother explained the cable was put in 1970s! He the went to a box on the Pole and found two very old blockers on line! He removed those old blockers and all of sudden both his TV and his cable Internet went really well!

So ask an older person and ask them how old is cable system around your neighborhood and have an engineer from your ISP to check if old 1970 mechanical blockers are still on the old line!

Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Mine does weird WIFI disconnects from time to time as well where I have to reboot it. Nothing else has a problem, just my ATV4. Never found a solution other than simply rebooting it from time to time.

Cable it to router just to test...

might try changing channel, or band if possible..mixed would be good.

This is mine:
Screen Shot 2020-04-10 at 11.46.34 am.png

Robert Gustafsson

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2020
I have the exact same problem. ATV goes super slow or not working at all. Reboot sorts it sometimes.

Sometimes I share the internet connection with my phone and then it works fine - super annoying.

This might be a coincidence but I seem to get these issues when the ATV is on the 5 Ghz band..?

shakopeemn

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2014
No one will agree with me, but I always find it interesting that people are always first to blame a device on the wi-fi network as having issues. Given the number of routers, configurations, it's quite the nature of the beast that Apple and other manufacturers have to contend with every day.

As great as mesh networks are at extending a network, they're still a mesh network. We ask quite a bit out of a cheap consumer wireless router. I know my router services 35+ online wifi devices.

I do agree that it's important that most devices at home connect using 5Ghz if able.

Reactions: IscariotJ

Robert Gustafsson

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2020
No one will agree with me, but I always find it interesting that people are always first to blame a device on the wi-fi network as having issues. Given the number of routers, configurations, it's quite the nature of the beast that Apple and other manufacturers have to contend with every day.

As great as mesh networks are at extending a network, they're still a mesh network. We ask quite a bit out of a cheap consumer wireless router. I know my router services 35+ online wifi devices.

I do agree that it's important that most devices at home connect using 5Ghz if able.

I'm not saying anything about your statement, but in my case, it's just the ATV that has issues and I have all kinds of different Apple products that works just fine.

Bearxor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
I just found this thread because over the past week my AppleTV has been acting crazier than normal. I can’t go more than two minutes now without constant buffering of even very low bandwidth video streams.

Nothing has changed and it’s ONLY the ATV 4K that is affected. While it’s buffering I can take any other wireless device and play the exact same content flawlessly.

I’ve pretty much banished all 2.4ghz devices from my house (curse you printer and Apple Watch!) and am not running a mesh network and the site survey tool Ubiquiti provides shows that the access point it’s connecting to is on a pretty unused 5ghz channel.

Something is definitely up with the ATV hardware.

Tony Heston

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2020
There must be something going on because I came across this post while searching for a solution to my AppleTV's now abysmal network connection (didn't have this issue until recent). By the looks of it, it's happening more frequently to users. At least now I know I'm not the only one.

Robert Gustafsson

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2020
I ended up connecting my ATV with a wire and now it works fine again.

There must be somerhing with the ATV and the google mesh that creates this issue (stating the obvious)... super annoying.

Last edited:

winstars

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2015
I have two 4K ATV's, one in my bedroom (10 feet from router) and one downstairs in the LR in a 1900 sq ft house. I have 400/20 Spectrum service. Upstairs everything was always fine WiFi wise, getting 300+ always. Downstairs, during the last year or so after turning on (waking up) the ATV, it would freaking crawl, sometimes speedtest.net at like 2-10 down... After a restart it would get up to 50-100 down, which while weak was fine I guess. I was using my beloved Apple Extreme upstairs as my whole house router.

After looking at a million reviews etc, I was lucky enough to obtain a hard to get Amplifi Alien Wi-Fi 6 router. I bought two intending to using them as a mesh system. I set the first one up to try it out. After doing so, in my BR I was now getting (off peak) 440+ download. I then went downstairs and was and still am getting essentially 300+ download every time... I do not need to restart my ATV every time. I haven't restarted it in weeks after having to do so daily!!! I am now getting 3 or 4 times the best speeds I ever got with my Extreme. on this LR ATV...

I didn't bother to set up the second Alien.

I am unsure why the new router fixed my issue, which I definitely had like everyone else. I read upthread others changing routers and or using new equipment, so I dunno. Unsure why the same issues that others have been writing about on this thread are now gone with the same ATV. (which is well over a year old if not older)

Weird.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.