Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I’ve got an LG TV and LG Soundbar. Everything I do is with the Apple TV. I’ve got the Apple TV run straight to the TV and the Soundbar hooked up to the HDMI ARC port.

Sometimes, most of the time, the Soundbar does not turn on and I have sound coming from the TV and I can’t control the volume with the Apple TV remote. I only use the Apple TV remote. Powering everything off and on makes it work right once in a while.

My question, and I’m asking here due to the wiring being a pain to redo the way the TV is mounted and the wires hidden, is there a way to make this work better? Would I be better off running the Apple TV to the Soundbar then the Soundbar out to the TV?

Or is there another way to make this work better? I absolutely do not want 2 remotes

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Or is there another way to make this work better?
I have an LG, w/ Apple TV, PS5, Sony Blu-ray all connected via HDMI, and Sonos Arc connected via HDMI ARC. Almost identical setup and I have the same problem. It is very annoying. At times, and I can't figure out why, the LG will switch the speakers to TV instead of ARC. I'll have to use the LG remote to switch the LG speakers settings back to ARC. I don't think this behavior is Apple TV specific but an issue w/ LG software. This behavior started after an LG software update over 6 months ago... or at least I think so. Before then, the setup was working perfectly. Although, to be fair, I do keep the Apple TV, PS5, and Sony Blu-ray software up to date, so it could be related to one of these units... but I feel it's the LG.

Reactions: jjk454ss

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
A few things to try (but waiting on a LG update may be the only option)

HDMI cables: people will buy great TV and high rated soundbar but then connect them with the cheapest HDMI cables they can get. If this might be a possibility with any of your HDMI cables, get some great ones. I suggest overkill with 8K HDMI (example) which might cost $5-$15 more than ones rated for 4K.

ARC doesn't have HDMI out, so you don't have an option of AppleTV to Soundbar To TV... UNLESS, you inject a Receiver with dual HDMI OUT jacks into the equation. Then it's AppleTV HDMI into Receiver, Receiver HDMI video to TV, Receiver HDMI audio to Arc. Since this would basically bypass any CEC flakiness in the LG, this would almost certainly solve all issues, while bringing the bonus of being able to hook anything else you ever want to your system to use the same audio options.

Another way to fix the volume control issue with the AppleTV remote is don't lean on CEC for volume. Instead, you can train the volume button to use IR, which works with Sonos. You do this in "learn remote" menu in the AppleTV menu. One of the options is basically to learn volume to the AppleTV remote. The "catch" with this is you must first get another remote programmed for Sonos IR controls, so that you can then use it to "play" the IR commands so the learning AppleTV remote can "see" them and then replicate them. Alternatively, I believe you can also "learn" ANY volume up/down signals with Apple remote and then have Sonos (via Sonos app) to "learn" volume up & down from whatever IR codes AppleTV picked up.

There are a variety of references online about LG TVs seeming to just drop CEC settings from time to time, so it is likely a bug that they will hopefully address in a software update at some point.

Another "one remote" option is stealth two remotes: use an iDevice as your remote control. With AppleTV remote app and Sonos app on that iDevice, you can quickly flip between apps to control them separately (but within the same devices). There's probably an app for the LG TV too if you want all 3. If you have an old iPhone or iPad, perhaps give it a new job as your master remote (until perhaps LG addresses the bug).

And, lastly, a Universal learning remote with macros can be a great alternative "one remote to rule them all." That's what I use and it basically takes the CEC functionality goals away from the tech and puts it in macros that you can run. By this method you can basically turn flaky CEC OFF in the various devices and then simulate it with one of these kinds of remotes. The (learn) programmed ON button turns each piece on, volume manages speakers, other programmed buttons manage other features that I sometimes want to use/access, (learn) programmed OFF button turns it all off. My preferred remotes are from Universal Remote Control Inc. but there are several of these "learn remotes with macros" available. It's a bit of a task to teach them how to do the CEC stuff but then you are in control of those steps and can know for sure what commands are trying to execute when you push buttons on the remote.

Last edited:

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Thank you both. I have tried to learn the commands to my Apple TV remote and it works off and on. But definitely not consistently.

The mention of ARC not having HDMI out. Maybe your talking something else, but my Soundbar does have HDMI in and HDMI out. I was thinking maybe if the Apple TV goes into the Soundbar of would have to turn it on and use that for sound since it runs through it to get to the TV.

Hopefully there is a fix from LG soon anyway I guess.

I wish Apple made a nice subwoofer, using my HomePod for sound is actually pretty good. And it’s the only thing that consistently works with the Apple TV and it’s remote.

I used to use a Harmony remote and loved that, just haven’t found a decent alternative now that they don’t sell them.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I'm about 99% sure that Sonos Arc (soundbar) has only a single HDMI port. Mine is in a difficult to reach spot to re-check that but I looked online and the spec list also says 1 HDMI port. And here's somebody's picture of the lone HDMI port...

ARC-HDMI.jpg

Are you sure it's a Sonos Arc soundbar? If it has 2 HDMI ports, I think it's something else. If you have some other Soundbar with HDMI IN and HDMI OUT, then yes,

AppleTV HDMI OUT to SOUNDBAR HDMI IN • SOUNDBAR HDMI OUT to LG TV HDMI IN​

That should "strip off" the audio before it gets to the TV and forward the video to the TV. And that should work just fine since you are not relying on the LG software to do anything with the audio.

Update: And I rechecked that first post and see that you do NOT have a Sonos Arc soundbar but one from LG. Sorry I missed that. I saw ARC in the headline and assumed you had a Sonos ARC (name of soundbar).

So yes, TRY running the HDMI into the LG soundbar HDMI IN, then out of it to the TV. That should at least get around any bug in CEC software in the TV. Basically AppleTV CEC should be "controlling" the CEC stuff with soundbar. It might not solve all problems (particularly ON/OFF of all 3 parts) but it has a pretty good chance of solving the volume up and down issue since you will be bypassing the TV processing for audio. Odds are pretty good that AppleTV and the Soundbar will easily work together (on/off and volume up/down) but the TV may continue to not comply with on/off until there is an update.

A probable bonus to this setup is you can also use AppleTV like a music jukebox with TV off. Play Music from the Music app, anything you airplay to AppleTV or any of the streaming music apps on AppleTV (like Pandora) and it should sound quite good through that Soundbar.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjk454ss

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Thanks. I’ll give it a try. I assume I wouldn’t be losing any video quality this way? The LG Soundbar will pass through the video without stripping away anything?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.