Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DAVE12035

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2022
I have 3 TV's and subscribe to a half dozen streaming services. I like the programming on Apple but it's the only service that consistently and repeatedly loses its signal. Fortunately, being an ex-CATV subscriber with a DVR I'm used to having my remote close at hand to fast forward through commercials so I now take advantage of that muscle memory to reload Apple programs. Distracting and annoying.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Assuming you are talking about Apple TV+, I know that their streams are at a higher but rate than most (all?) other services.

Maybe this could be a network or internet speed issue?

What is your internet speed at on your streaming devices?

DAVE12035

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2022
I'm not sure about "at my devices" but my internet speed from my ISP, Charter/Spectrum is supposed to be 100mps.

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013
AppleTV+ streams at 4K. Unless you go into your settings in the AppleTV and reduce the video quality, it will always attempt to stream at 4K. This may be too much for your connection to handle... are you wired or wireless?

When you say reload Apple programs, do you mean AppleTV+ content or AppleTV apps such as Disney+, Youtube, et al?

Having to reload a program such as Ted Lasso mid-stream means your service can't handle the stream (i.e. 4K is too high) or the service may be having issues (either your ISP or at Apple). Apple does have internet issues from time to time.

Having to reload your apps means you might want to reset your AppleTV as maybe an update failed to install correctly. If several apps are having hiccups it could also be your service provider.

DAVE12035

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2022
I have Netflix (basic, no 4K), Peacock, HBO, Paramount +, Disney +, Hulu and Apple TV (each as an individual subscription), all of which I watch regularly and for prolonged periods of time. Except for Apple TV content, never a bad moment. For example I was watching CODA, everything was fine, no hesitation or pixilation, suddenly a gray screen with no specific cause listed. I get past the gray screen (push OK) then hit resume and I'm good for another half hour to 45 minutes. I could try re-installing the App, this just bothers me because it only happens with Apple. My connection is wireless but I have two other TVs farther away with walls in between that work fine without any signal problems and my primary TV (a HiSense 4K ULED with Android TV, the one I use most) is no more than 15-20 feet away from my router with an unimpeded line of sight. I live alone so I'm not using a computer while watching TV while conversing with Google Home and streaming music in some other room/s or on my phone. I guess I might try uninstalling and reinstalling the App on the HiSense, it just occurred to me that I don't think I've ever watched Apple TV on either of my other two TVs so I can't say if they have the same issue. Thanks for your help and interest!

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013
There's the problem. You are not using an Apple TV streaming box, you are using an Apple TV+ app provided by you're TV manufacturer. These apps are inferior to the one that runs on the Apple TV streaming box because they are rewritten to run under the TV manufacturer's OS. The TV manufacturer is responsible for said app, not Apple. As such, odds are pretty good it is the TV manufacturer that is to blame here.

Many people report issues running the Apple TV+ app provided by various TV manufacturers. You're best bet would be to run the app through the Apple TV streaming box. Most streaming boxes provide far superior support for apps in general as they exist wholly to run said apps and not as a hook to get you to buy the TV.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
AppleTV+ streams at 4K. Unless you go into your settings in the AppleTV and reduce the video quality, it will always attempt to stream at 4K. This may be too much for your connection to handle... are you wired or wireless?
Huh... I'll need to check this. I'm watching on a 1440p monitor. No need to force 4K then!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.