Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimmysalg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
Miami
Sorry if this has already been covered somewhere, but I did a quick search and couldn't find. Anyway I came across this video on youtube that covers some interesting things about setting up your HDR/Dolby Vision on your applet tv 4k. It seems like the initial setting is a little misleading, and as a result my TV was constantly on Dolby Vision mode whenever the Apple TV was on, which is not optimal and ends up giving you some weird colors. After adjusting the settings as instructed now my Dolby Vision or HDR only kicks on if the content supports it.

I don't know this guy, I just happen to come across the video:

ledzep1

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2016
Yeah that video is very good, I use the same settings, saying that I have chroma on 4:2:0, I don’t believe you would notice any visual difference between 4:4:4 and 4:2:0 if you only use the Apple TV to watch movies and tv shows.

Reactions: rockinray

FarmerBob

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
This is what I used when I first got mine. Naturally you just go for the way you think it should be, the GUI is all flat and bland. Prime indication that's the wrong settings. The 4K SD @ 60Hz is the best with the "Match" settings.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
I have the match content settings on but still don't understand why the format should be SD rather than HDR?

loekf

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2015
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Yeah that guy is right:

YCbCr 4:4:4 ... though AFAIK HDMI 2.0a can't do 4K 60Hz with 10-bits YUV 4:4:4. Most movies are at YUV 4:2:0 anyways, incl. 4K ones.
4K SDR @ 60 Hz (also for people in 50Hz countries)
Match Content on (= TV switches to HDR based on content, provided the app has been written correctly - I'm looking at you Disney+ .. Netflix and Amazon Prime are ok)
Match Framerate off... makes little sense to me. Think streaming services are all 60 Hz.

Make sure your TV's inputs are at Full range (BT2020 color space).

Broken Hope

macrumors 68000
Jan 15, 2015
Yeah that guy is right:

YCbCr 4:4:4 ... though AFAIK HDMI 2.0a can't do 4K 60Hz with 10-bits YUV 4:4:4. Most movies are at YUV 4:2:0 anyways, incl. 4K ones.
4K SDR @ 60 Hz (also for people in 50Hz countries)
Match Content on (= TV switches to HDR based on content, provided the app has been written correctly - I'm looking at you Disney+ .. Netflix and Amazon Prime are ok)
Match Framerate off... makes little sense to me. Think streaming services are all 60 Hz.

Make sure your TV's inputs are at Full range (BT2020 color space).
Most streaming is 24P like it should be so match frame rate should be on.

shakopeemn

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2014
I have the match content settings on but still don't understand why the format should be SD rather than HDR?

If the ATV Video output is set to always HDR, the TV will bump up the contrast and brightness as with a movie in HDR when navigating all the menus using the ATV. The less taxing move is to set to SDR and match the content. That way the Dolby or HDR kicks in when the show starts.

Probably not a concern with LED owners, but I don't want HDR menu retention with my OLED.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.